How do I ramp a pocket tool path?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
zombolina
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS

How do I ramp a pocket tool path?

Post by zombolina »

Hello,

I got a new surfacing bit- Amana RC 2250 1-1/2" and it recommends to ramp down to a depth of 1/4" deep over a 20" run.

I think I used to know how to set this up but its been a while and I can't find it on the forums.

I see the "ramp plunge moves" box on the pocket tool path set up, but I'm not sure what the setting means?

Help! And Thanks!!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: How do I ramp a pocket tool path?

Post by highpockets »

Set the path depth on the bit to .25" then set the ramp to 20.
Image 274.png
Last edited by highpockets on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Not to be a wise guy, but ity means what it says.

What you want to do is check the box and then set the distance you want. The tool will move back and forth as it is plunging to the selected depth of cut.

If you are curious and want to see what it is doing BEFORE you cut your spoilboard, just set your Z zero above the spoilboard more than your depth of cut.

Fairly simple. Hope that helps.

Note, you can also take a close look at the preview and it will show what is going on.

Oh, one other thing, .25 inch seems like a lot to be taking off a spoilboard unless the thing is really cattywumpus.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

zombolina

Post by zombolina »

Thanks much! Just trying a test now.

My confusion is the depth... I only want the spoil board surface pass to be .01 so that is where my tool depth is set. If I change it to .25" won't I be surfacing the entire surface at .25"?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Set the depth to .01, then set the ramp length at 4". That should be more than enough
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

zombolina

Post by zombolina »

Thanks Isla,

One more dumb question! I am correct to think that the blue line is the ramp? Just curious why it still shows a plunge straight down.
2018-11-28.png

zombolina

Post by zombolina »

I am also getting a Parameter Error(?) before I run the file.
"Parameter Value Below Range for VS- Setting to Lower Limit (.05)!

Can anyone point me to the section in the manual that explains?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Item #1: Use the raster (in the X direction) rather than offset to surface the table, your results will be much better and the table will surface much quicker

#2: Your speed was set using the wrong units. You probably were thinking inches per second, entered that number, but the feed units were set to another setting, such as inches per minute. ShopBot is one of the few controllers that wont let you go that slow.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I suspect that the error is not covered by the manual because it is unique to your machine.

When you have a path with movement in more than one direction, such as when it ramps, the feed speed is the smallest specified for any of the multiple directions. If you look at the G code you will see only one feed speed entry, (it looks like "F80.0"). it sets it for all directions until the next feed speed is specified.

If the ramping is to be .25" in 20 inches, that is a ramp of 1 in 80. If the Z plunge speed happens to be set set at 20 inches/minute, the X and Y feeds will also be run at the rate. Since he Z plunge movement is 1/80th of the horizontal movement, its speed will be also. Which makes the actual Z plunge rate 20/80 = .25 inches per minute. That is apparently to slow for your machine. Try clicking OK on the warning, running the preview, and see what happens.

The blue lines are the path of the center of the end of the cutter. Part of them are the ramp, and others are where the cutter drops or lifts from the material. Also, in the toolpath Material Setup, you can reduce running time by entering a Rapid Z Gap (Z2) value. This speeds up the router dropping speed until it is close to the material.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

zombolina

Post by zombolina »

Thanks for all of the help! :D :D