First Tiling Project

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

First Tiling Project

Post by KeithW »

I am attempting my first tiling job on a customer's piece of wood and would like to ask a couple of questions to see if I'm on track.

What I've done... (I'm using Aspire 8.5xx)

- I've watched the Vectric videos
- read the help section in Aspire
- Looked on u-tube
- Ran a simulation - I think

So my question is:

I have a board 7 feet long which I need to divide in 3 tile sections. When I run it, I believe that I set the first tile at the (I'm using) the lower left corner. When I move the board, do I measures up 28 inches (tile size), mark, and then move that point on the board back to the original X,Y location to run the 2nd tool path? then another 28 inches and again move that point on the board back to the original X,Y again? And then only use the first touch off without resetting the X, Y again, and then let the machine determine and set tile locations from the original X,Y location?

(man, that;s a run on set of questions! sorry) :oops:

I think (hope) I understand that how it is done...

But then, do I run ALL tool paths in each tile before I move the board? Again, I think that is what I want to do, but then I have to change bits in each tile? Any issues with changing bits and making sure that all Z heights touch offs are the same?

I use a homemade touch off plate that connects a circuit with a light, between the work and bit. It's .125 plate so I just offset that much when touching off. I think that I am pretty confident I will get the same setting each time, just wanted to see if that is what everyone does.

The slab was supplied by the customer so I really don't want to mess up!! I plan on carving a piece of foam first to see what happens...

Thanks in advance, and I hope it makes sense. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Probotix Meteor
Aspire 8.5xx

flying_flip
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX / VCarve Desktop

Re: First Tiling Project

Post by flying_flip »

Yes your description of moving the wood is correct for tiling.

I did 3 bit changes on my first tiling attempt.
My thoughts were do all the cuts for Tile 1 before you move and re-index the wood.

Phil
flying_flip

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

I agree with Phil. I have done a few tiling projects, but have never had one with a tool change, so have never thought about it. That being said, you might want to look at how close the different tools cut to each other and if there is some wiggle room for minor discrepancies, maybe you could get away with running one tool at a time all the way through and come back and start over and save all those tool changes. I have always used a little of the "Tile Overlap" feature to help with profile cuts, etc. Hope this is of some help...joe

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not done to much of this but would agree with the other comments, the important thing is really your accuracy when moving the part, various ways this can be done, think one of the tutorials mentions using dowels for alignment of tile sections, I have just done it by moving a set distance but I can measure that fairly accurately :lol:
I use a straight edge clamped to the machine bed to ensure the stock runs parallel to the table :lol: :lol:

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

Thanks everyone. Pretty much as I suspected so glad about that.

My slab is 7' x 20" live edge so thought I would mount it on a piece of 1/2 mdf 2 feet wide by the 8 foot length, and then I can move that against my straight edge I have on my table. Hopefully it should be pretty close.

I'll try it in a few days hopefully, and will add some pictures.

Thanks again.