Direction of cut?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
M Queen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WinCNC Hybrid

Direction of cut?

Post by M Queen »

Is there a variable available for the post processor that allows me to know the direction of cut (conventional or climb)? Thank you.
Mike Queen
Microsystems World CNC (WinCNC)
https://www.youtube.com/user/cncMike304

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Re: Direction of cut?

Post by joeporter »

I am not sure if I understand your question, but direction of cut is decided by you as you set up your individual toolpaths in the 2D and 3D finish fill out lists. For the 2D toolpaths, you can put a check in the box beside the toolpath and it will show the direction of cut with a set of arrows. I tried to see the direction of cut in the 3D and was only able to visually tell after I adjusted my finish stepover to a very high number and then zooming in and I could see the direction of the cut. Of course, after you check this out, you would re-adjust this to a normal stepover. Does this help? Study the Help Manual section on toolpaths at the top of the program and this will become clear. You have a choice on climb or conventional, but these choices are made in the toolpath fill in lists, and not in the post processor. But then, what do I know? I just pick the ShopBot post and let it go...joe

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The full list of PP variables is in the Post Processor editing guide on the Help menu in Aspire.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Is there a variable available for the post processor that allows me to know the direction of cut (conventional or climb)?
No. The list of variables is in the post-processor editing guide on pages 9 and 10 (Help/Post Processor Editing Guide)

Why do you need that information?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I think it's a test for the rest of us...
Right Mike ??

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

I must be more aware of who I am responding to. I thought this was a legitimate question by a new user with a real problem.
M Queen wrote:Is there a variable available for the post processor that allows me to know the direction of cut (conventional or climb)? Thank you.
Well, fool me once.......joe

M Queen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WinCNC Hybrid

Post by M Queen »

Thanks for the answers guys.

In WinCNC, we can do tool radius compensation, but the CAD/CAM software has to allow it. I've been asked by several customers if we can provide a post processor that will turn comp on and off. I didn't think there was a way, and I might have already asked Mark about it (if so, forgive me.. I'm old and forgetful), but I had to ask.

Haha, Michael. I do like to test you, but I'll keep that to WinCNC questions. You're my master in any Vectric software.
Mike Queen
Microsystems World CNC (WinCNC)
https://www.youtube.com/user/cncMike304