Photo vcarve to edgelit acrylic.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Photo vcarve to edgelit acrylic.

Post by dwilli9013 »

Has anyone tried import a Phot vcarve file into aspire to carve into a piece of acrylic for an edgelit.
Just curious thinking about giving this a shot as I think it might look pretty trick. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Photo vcarve to edgelit acrylic.

Post by Xxray »

Aspire itself can create lithos, so its tough to see the need to import anything.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... s_GEN.html

If you are talking clear acrylic I think the results would be disappointing. Colored acrylic maybe, but then it would not be edge lit but rather back lit ... I think it has been tried by some here, results are usually unpredictable and messy.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Doug has already said you will be very disappointed with the results, put your engineering head on & go & do a bit of research on light transmission :lol: :lol:

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Seems like a Photo V-Groove has potential to work as an edge lighted acrylic piece. That's the only thing Aspire can't do that the other Vectric apps can, right?

Give it a try.
Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Repeat

Aspire itself can create lithos, so its tough to see the need to import anything.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... s_GEN.html

Lithos are brought to life when a properly cut opaque material is backlit.
Thats 2 things you need, opaque material and backlight. Why you guys want to take it the other way and use transparent edge lit not sure, maybe something I just am not picturing correctly ,, But if you have any luck, post back.
I tried doing one in white plexi some time back and it was a gummy mess, I aborted it and never repeated, but thats not to say it can't be done. Clear plexi, just am not grasping the concept of why you would even want to try.
Doug

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Yeah, Aspire can create lithophanes, but it can't create Photo V-Grooves like PVC can.

So, the wider/deeper the cut with a V bit, the more light it'd pass, which may bring out the image, similar to filling the V grooves with a contrasting color shows the image.

Or... Am I missing something, and PVC's Photo V-Groove is off the table... for some reason... which I am missing...?

I've missed stuff before!
Chris

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I dunno, "photo v groove" is not a term/process I am familiar with., I thought that was a typo.
From the sound of it, doesn't sound plexi friendly.
Doug

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

dwilli9013 wrote:Has anyone tried import a Phot vcarve file into aspire to carve into a piece of acrylic for an edgelit.
Just curious thinking about giving this a shot as I think it might look pretty trick. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is the only thread I remember seeing about PVC cut into clear acrylic and edge lit ,,,, I thought it was nice and may have looked better than the photo showed, edge lit acrylic is kind of hard to photograph in my experience, specially w/o a dimmer control

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ic#p129962

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Aspire can do PhotoVCarve type cuts no problem. Import the photo, convert it to a component, create a 3d finish toolpath (raster at an angle) using a V-bit and a large enough step over to get gaps between the passes.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

glenninvb wrote:
dwilli9013 wrote:Has anyone tried import a Phot vcarve file into aspire to carve into a piece of acrylic for an edgelit.
This is the only thread I remember seeing about PVC cut into clear acrylic and edge lit ,,,, I thought it was nice and may have looked better than the photo showed, edge lit acrylic is kind of hard to photograph in my experience, specially w/o a dimmer control

I had even forgotten about that one Glenn :lol: :lol:

While I would agree that they are difficult to photograph well (for me at least :oops: ) I am not so sure that that particular job would have look much if any better if seen up close. If you look at the pictures you will see that the text looks a lot better than the actual picture.
I don't think that clear materials on their own give good results, photographs printed onto clear vinyl will always look washed out & faded, it's not until you apply them to a coloured background that they look better. I haven't seen a lot of photos engraved/carved onto a clear material but those I have seen have the same washed out look to them which is why I think Dyawne will be disappointed with the results.
I would also imagine that if you could get really good results then there would be a lot more pictures in the Gallery :lol: :lol: