Wrapping Script Text Around a Curve

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

Wrapping Script Text Around a Curve

Post by sylvan356 »

When creating script text which joins letter to letter it is my understanding that you have to weld the vectors together to get a machinable object. I want to wrap the text around a curve. If I weld it, it is no longer text and does not want to use the appropriate icon for that process. So, how do I wrap an object (welded text) around a curve? Thanks so much!
Sylvan

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Wrapping Script Text Around a Curve

Post by garylmast »

To turn text to curves use the convert objects to curves icon, but it shouldn't really matter whether it is an object or vectors, if you check the Project toolpath onto the 3D model, that should solve the question. Gary
Attachments
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 2.JPG

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hi Sylvan,
I don't think you can do it that way, but I've been wrong before:)
I think once you convert you lose the font tools, as it's no longer a font.
Before converting, I stick a copy in no man's land(or better yet a separate layer), so when the inevitable muck up(for me) happens, I can grab the Just prior copy to go again. If doing a lot of it in one project, I really like the "Increment and Save" option:)
As much posting this to see responses to see if I learn anything as anything else :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If the script text is created using the Aspire/VCarve/Cut2D text tool then you don't need to convert it to curves and weld to machine it. It's only if it's script text that is imported that you need to do that. Something I only learnt recently myself.

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

Post by sylvan356 »

Adrian - Thanks for that info! I don't think I would ever have discovered that!
I did finally figure out how to do that after converting to text and welding the script font using the distortion tool.Itis a workaround as I had to cut my circular piece to the length of the text; distort it to the curved line and then rejoin my circular line.
In the future, I will just ignore it as per Adrian!
Scott - You are absolutely right! I always save the text to another layer so that Ido not have to redo it when I need to do it again!
Thanks to both of you for the help!