3D Model on a curve

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laquna Swift

3D Model on a curve

Post by Larry Cessna »

Like many others I would like to do some carving on a gun stock. I had a 3d scan of my stock. I made a model of the side of the stock I want to carve on. I added the 3d clip art to the stock. Model at .09 high and base at -.1 high. When I create the tool path it make them for the stock and the 3d clip art but the stock is already cut. What is the best wat to carve 3d clip art on to an existing gun stock if I have a model of the curves of the stock>

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: 3D MODEL ON A CURVE

Post by zeeway »

You can place a vector enclosing the part of the model you want to cut, and select everything inside that vector, generate the 3D toolpath, and cut it. Since you will only have one shot at this, you may want to do a trial on a scrap piece of material first.

Angie

Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Cessna »

Yes that works for the y and x but I am having a problem with the Z. I just want to carve the model of the art work not the model of the gun stock I added it to. The gun stock is already a gun stock>?????

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

On the Model Tab, can you change it from merge to add or subtract from the gun stock model?

Not clear if you want the 3D model proud of the stock or carved (recessed) below the gun stock face.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Re: 3D Model on a curve

Post by zeeway »

If you have the gun stock contours modeled; and you added your other 3D model to the gun stock model, and the model does not stand proud to the gun stock...then you have the z information in the model. There is a 3D icon that allows you to eliminate all model information outside of a selected vector. If you use that you have created a model of your inlay that is curved to follow the contours of your gunstock. Your enclosing vector needs to be a bit larger than your design so that the cutting tool does not plunge into the gunstock.

You sound like you are bring very cautious, and rightly so. I would suggest to bolster your confidence, you use a scrap piece of material to first cut a large portion of the gunstock without the special model...and then use that to trial cut the special model. That would allo you to develop safe technique to modify your gunstock.

Angie

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

zeeway wrote:If you have the gun stock contours modeled; and you added your other 3D model to the gun stock model, and the model does not stand proud to the gun stock...then you have the z information in the model. There is a 3D icon that allows you to eliminate all model information outside of a selected vector. If you use that, you have created a model of your inlay that is curved to follow the contours of your gunstock. Your enclosing vector needs to be a bit larger than your design so that the cutting tool does not plunge into the gunstock.

You sound like you are bring very cautious, and rightly so. I would suggest to bolster your confidence, you use a scrap piece of material to first cut a large portion of the gunstock without the special model...and then use that to trial cut the special model. That would allow you to develop safe technique to modify your gunstock.

Angie

Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Cessna »

I still cant get this. I made a model/component of my gun stock. I want to carve a hunting scene in it. How do I just toolpath the hunting scene so it will cave along the curve on the existing gun stock???? Where do I set the xy and Z orientation? I am lost. I cant up load the file.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You could post your file so someone could put the requisite vector around your 3D carving as suggested in the first reply to this thread.

Then you could create the finishing (and optional roughing) toolpaths using that vector as the boundary to exclude the rest of the gun stock model.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Maybe I am not understanding the question correctly but if the design to be cut is just basically engraving into the model that is already cut, then can't you just use the check box to project toolpath onto 3D model in the profile toolpath?
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

You need the model of the stock so it thinks it will cut it. But you don't need to actually cut it, just tool path it, so Aspire can then do your model in it. Set your Z at the top of the curve of the stock. Then put your model you want cut out onto the stock. Create a vector boundary around it then use that to define your toolpath. Then cut it out. I tried one and that's how it worked for me. You just have to play with you heights to get it to cut the right depth.