Initializing Postscript

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Initializing Postscript

Post by ssflyer »

Hi all,

After installing Aspire on my new Win 10 computer, every time I run it, it comes up with, "Initializing postscript fonts for first time use." This is only supposed to happen on the very first run. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Sloan

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Initializing Postscript

Post by mtylerfl »

ssflyer wrote:Hi all,

After installing Aspire on my new Win 10 computer, every time I run it, it comes up with, "Initializing postscript fonts for first time use." This is only supposed to happen on the very first run. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Ron
Hmmm. Do you have some kind of "font manager" installed on your system? Perhaps it is the cause of repeated initialization.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

No font manager installed. This is a fresh build. The popup for initializing postscript fonts, is the standard one you see when you first run Aspire. It's only supposed to happen the first time. Aspire still runs fine, just takes longer to start up! Got me stumped...
Ron Sloan

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ron,

That is a puzzler alright! I suppose Vectric Support may have some theories and/or someone else may have run into this before and have a quick solution.

Are you running the software As Administrator? I really don't think it has anything to do with the font issue, but when grasping at straws it's worth trying!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

Michael,

Yep, running as Admin... I'm going to shoot off an e-mail to Vectric support - see if they have any ideas! If so, I'll post back here, in case anyone else ever runs into this issue. I'm starting to wonder if on of the new Microsoft updates had anything to do with it! ;-{
Ron Sloan

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Ron,

You could start Aspire and when you get that error on screen press Ctrl, Alt, and Delete (or Del) keys simultaneously---a.k.a. "the three finger salute". Then select: Task Manager.

Under "Apps" in the task manager pane see if something looks out of place: "<program x> PostScript Error", "GhostScript", etc. You could then get an idea of what application might be throwing the error.

If nothing stands out as odd you could click the ">" to the left of Aspire to see if you can see an entry for that error dialog.

This might be of use to Vectric support (or us here for that matter).

Steven

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard

Post by ssflyer »

Thanks Steven,

There really is no error thrown. The dialog is from Aspire, itself. The first time you ever run it, It initializes the fonts. It is never supposed to happen after the very first time Aspire is run.

It's not a show stopper - I have a very fast machine so it doesn't take long, and then Aspire loads and runs normally. Just puzzled as to why it's happening!

Ron
Ron Sloan

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Using the registry editor, check these two keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

I'm not sure if Vectric uses these registry keys for that purpose but it's worth a check. There may be some reason, like permissions, why the values were not deleted. Cut and paste the values to a text file or export them to a .reg file before deleting. Don't delete the keys. Just the values.

BE VERY CAREFUL. EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!

DISCLAMER: If you don't understand these instructions, do not attempt to edit the registry.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ssflyer wrote:Hi all,

Thanks,
Ron
Shows just how much attention I pay to start up Ron, installed the software on 2 machines running windows 10 both have loads of type 1 fonts on them & I don't think I have ever seen that message :lol: :lol: :lol:
It definitely doesn't appear now as I have just checked so my machine appears to be OK :lol: :lol: