Smoothing a textured surface

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Re: Smoothing a textured surface

Post by Olle »

Alright... I tried the sweep function, and it was pretty straightforward. There is one thing I still have to figure out though: How do I select several cross sections? I think I can get away with sweeping between the two end sections (which, I assume, will gradually "morph" the sections as it sweeps along the rails), but I can only select one section. Also, if you need a larger amount of cross sections, you need to somehow put them in the correct place and select them in the correct order...?

I did look it up in the manual, and it says: "This option only becomes active if all selected cross section vectors have the same number of spans and nodes"... Does this mean that I have to modify the profiles by deleting or adding nodes? Kinda awkward to do when you're working with splines, as I assume that the spacing between the nodes also becomes important?

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

To select several cross sections while in the 2-rail sweep dialog:
1. Choose your rails and click on "Use Selection"
2. Click on the first profile, then click on the first rail where you want it.
3. Click on the next profile then click on the first rail where you want it.

Etc.

After you have placed the cross sections, you can move the points where the cross sections touch each of the rails by clicking, holding and dragging.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

Outstanding, it worked!

This was more or less a dry run and with two profiles only, so it looks a little bit crude right now due to some "operator errors". The next step will be to make a few more profiles and pay a bit more attention to the details. Now, what would be the easiest way to get rid of the medallion? All I really want to do is to punch it out and replace it with a flat surface, so is there a quick and easy way to do that (like "erase selection" and "fill hole")?

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

By the way, here's what the "puck" looks like, with the new, fresh replacement right next to it.
Attachments
Grip smoothing 4.jpg

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

I tinkered a little bit more with the sweep function, and managed to get it exactly like I want it: Nice, crisp and with sharp corners. The next step will be to add some kind of carving to the surface, just have to figure out what it should be.

Thank you guys, I sure appreciate the help!
Attachments
Grip smoothing 5.jpg

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

My Next Engine did me a fine job for about 2 years, it has been on the shelf boxed up for the past year. This thread reminds me that I will probably not use it again, I have kept it for a spare.
If someone wants to buy it send me a private email, it has all of the extra software tools with it, CAD Tools, and the Geomagic tool also.

Roy