Alignment and Two Sided Cutting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
angel_skull_crusher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC Router

Alignment and Two Sided Cutting

Post by angel_skull_crusher »

Hi guys,

I wanted to make some two sided components but have found it very tricky to get the alignment of the x,y coordinates to be just right. Every time I set up the origin for a toll path I have to manually approach and it is very difficult to get the exact position correct. I have tried making a pencil dot on the surface and then using the manual approach to touch the same point but that is not always accurate. I want vectric or whoever makes the software to have an image capture setting on the router so that the thing can visually align the piece.

So, how do I get really good alignment and then ensure that alignment is correct for two sided works. My idea was to drill a small pilot hole in the scrap area and use that as a method of touch alignment.

S

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Re: Alignment and Two Sided Cutting

Post by glenninvb »

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Alignment and Two Sided Cutting

Post by martin54 »

There is also the tutorials from last years user group meeting, this introduction followed by 2 other tutorials.

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... rts_1.html

Once you get the hang of it you will find it pretty easy to get very accurate alignment.

What control software are you using for your machine ? Do Laguna have their own control software as this is where you would need to check for anything to do with making your X, Y & Z axis setting easier. They are also the people to speak to if you would like to suggest an addition or new feature :lol: :lol:
No idea what is available in their control software but some allow the use of a laser crosshair for setting X & Y zero, others support things like edge finders.
In mach3 you can save work co-ordinates so if you have a jig or even a couple of bits of scrap wood clamped to the spoilboard that you can butt your material up against the X & Y zero position will always be in the same place.