Model a picture of a persons face?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Frunple

Model a picture of a persons face?

Post by Frunple »

Anyone ever make a model of a persons face?
I'm having no luck at all and was wondering if anyone has any tips??

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Model a picture of a persons face?

Post by martin54 »

Daryl, can you not already do that sort of thing with Aspire? Have seen a tutorial where on creating a lithophane & it looked to be the same sort of process

frunple, have a look at the post Gary put in the gallery, only thing is he modelled it in z brush not Aspire

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

This was done in Aspire..
John Sevier..1st Governor of Tennessee.

Michael
Attachments
John-Sevier-1-revision-1.jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

That's a fair comment Daryl, I have a range of different software that I use, each has it's own strengths so I tend to use the program that performs a particular function best (for me) & then export/import between them :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

That's incredible Michael!!!
How long ago did you do that?

Mark

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Mark,
Stuff like this takes forever....Too many hours to count..
Luckily, some of my clients are willing to pay for the more "exotic" types of model and they allow me the time I need.
But , never as much as I want...

I did this about 2 years age.

Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Michael,

That same thing happens to me all the time and not on something that detailed. It seems that if I figure the amount of time something is going to take it will normally be double that amount.
I'm glad at this point I don't try to get paid for all the time it takes.
I've followed you for years and you're results are amazing no matter how much time it takes.
I think a lot of folks believe those results can be had sooner and reality is it takes hours of study and practice to achieve that level of perfection.

Thanks for posting.
Mark

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

mezalick wrote:This was done in Aspire..
John Sevier..1st Governor of Tennessee.

Michael
This is more what I'm looking for.
When you did the face, did you do it as one component and "carved" the details, or multiple components?

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Frunple,,
The short answer is YES..

The long answer is that I work from few components,,sculpted as needed.
Then making a component of the existing model...
Add new components as needed and make a new composite model.
Sculpt and keep moving.
All on new layers..
You can always go back and pick separate components as needed.
It's a rough process but at some point you start to see something that looks acceptable.

For me, the new version of Aspire has made my work so much easier...

Maybe I should do a PDF..
Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

MarkJohnston wrote:Michael,

That same thing happens to me all the time and not on something that detailed. It seems that if I figure the amount of time something is going to take it will normally be double that amount.
I'm glad at this point I don't try to get paid for all the time it takes.
I've followed you for years and you're results are amazing no matter how much time it takes.
I think a lot of folks believe those results can be had sooner and reality is it takes hours of study and practice to achieve that level of perfection.

Thanks for posting.
Mark

Mark,
Our friend Tony Wish says that " most people think this is like a microwave oven..where, in reality, it's like a crock pot.."
So true..but who's willing to pay even the minimum wage rate...???
Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Frunple,
If I may make one suggestion.
It's something I have done in the past and I see many other use the same approach..
I'm referring to teeth.

In most cases I've seen, people will make a set of vectors for each tooth and then make them into one component.
The teeth sit right next to each other, and there is a slight space between each tooth.
And they are all on the same flat plain.

Now, in the picture you show, the teeth are behind each other and there is a natural curve to the entire set.
I would make each tooth separate and tuck them behind the previous one and then put a rounded shape under them to create the bend of the jaw line..
It doesn't need to be much of the bend, but something other than simply flat across...

Just my bit of what I've learned.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

mezalick wrote:Frunple,
It's something I have done in the past and I see many other use the same approach..
I'm referring to teeth.

In most cases I've seen, people will make a set of vectors for each tooth and then make them into one component.
The teeth sit right next to each other, and there is a slight space between each tooth.

Now, in the picture you show, the teeth are behind each other and there is a natural curve to the entire set.
I would make each tooth separate and tuck them behind the previous one and then put a rounded shape under them to create the bend of the jaw line..
It doesn't need to be much of the bend, but something other than simply flat across...

Michael
If I could add to this suggestion, extend that rounded shape up under the upper lip all the way to the bottom of the nose, but have it sloped. Basically make a dome shape and cut a piece off. That will more closely mimic the shape of an actual skull.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

OK I have to ask, this is something that I am years away from being able to do but how do you start a project like this?

Would you start with a picture that you turned into a component & then built up from that or would you start with a completely blank canvas & just use the picture as a sort of reference ??

I realise that there is probably more than one approach but would be nice to get some more ideas about the whole process :lol: :lol:

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

mezalick wrote:Frunple,
I'm referring to teeth.

Michael
Good call. Definitely made a big improvement. Still not where I want to be with it but getting there. Have to shave off twenty pounds of him still! Looks very heavy to be a professional athlete.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

martin54 wrote:OK I have to ask, this is something that I am years away from being able to do but how do you start a project like this?

Would you start with a picture that you turned into a component & then built up from that or would you start with a completely blank canvas & just use the picture as a sort of reference ??

I realise that there is probably more than one approach but would be nice to get some more ideas about the whole process :lol: :lol:
No time like the present! Don't wait years, pick something and give it a try!
I started with a picture and wanted to make it a component but because it's a picture of a plaque, it just wasn't translating. So basicaly I just start drawing vectors around the 'characteristic' parts of the face, and make components out of each. Then a lot of sculpting. I went too heavy on a lot of it so I have a lot to remove but it's a trying process.
I just asked for a feature request to be able to use sculpting tools on the 2d image which will allow the 2d image to be used as an incredible reference since you are sculpting on the exact locations that way.
So yes, there are a lot of ways. If you've ever carved anything out of actual wood, it's quite similar. It's more of an additive process instead of a normal carving where you're removing material, but I find myself "loading up" material, then carving into it sometimes too.
The other thing to keep in mind is there's a lot of similarities to plastic surgery.
Michael's suggestion for the teeth, very similar to any kind of implants where a set shaped object is placed behind a muscle to enhance that area. That's what I do to make the face "oval shaped". I model it flat first, then place an oval behind it to give it the shape.