Making a Logo, CNC stonework etc

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
angel_skull_crusher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC Router

Making a Logo, CNC stonework etc

Post by angel_skull_crusher »

Hi,

I made some logos for my room. They are two of my favorite football clubs. Basically, I uploaded the logos and converted the border regions and the different team colors to vectors. When the software picked up pixels, I edited the vectors by hand and used the join vector tool. I had some trouble getting the vectors to look just right but in the end, the thing came out well. I ran the 1/8 inch end mill at 20000 rpm and about 100 ipm. Some of the cuts took forever because of all the curvature. I am curious about using finer v tip end mills or the v mill bits (ones shaped like a v) with a profile cut of a few thousands of an inch to get the feather detail and the reliefs of the more complicated and intricate parts. The most tedious part of the process in the design and the sanding. Everything else with the machine is fantastic. I want to know if anyone has tried using the CNC router to do this on marble slabs. Has anyone made decorative bricks, or engraved bricks like those for charities? Has anyone done CNC on granite?

ASC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Making a Logo, CNC stonework etc

Post by martin54 »

I know that machining both marble & granite has been mentioned on the forum but not sure what sort of detail people went into. Try a search of the forum using them as keywords throws up quite a few posts but I didn't go as far as to read any of them. Try a search yourself, you may find the info you are looking for is already on the site somewhere :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I used a 60 deg V-Bit to carve this 12x12 marble tile. I was amazed at how soft marble is. It chips a bit on the edge of the cut, but not too bad. I ran around 10,000 rpm, 30IPM feed and 15IPM plunge rate.
2016-06-14 02.03.05.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

You should have no problem cutting marble with single edge v cutters, I grind a special 3 edge cutter to cut 2 1/2D on marble, slate and limestone plaques but if you want to move onto granites or stone you need to use PCD (Polycrystalline Diamond) and plenty of water.

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

angel_skull_crusher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC Router

Post by angel_skull_crusher »

What is the pass depth and what do you think about cutting tile? Would you recommend something where the overlap is a high percentage or a low percentage? Where is the literature on this subject? What companies work in this?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

what do you think about cutting tile
Ceramic tile is 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, so about the same as granite. (->Source) As mentioned earlier:
if you want to move onto granites or stone you need to use PCD (Polycrystalline Diamond) and plenty of water.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop