Toolpath optimization

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Re: Toolpath optimization

Post by glenninvb »

Obviously this has nothing to do with imported vectors and I know nothing of the algorithm or what ever means that's used to generate a machining order but I did experiment with the various choices available in the order box with poor results.

For example, if I want to draw and machine a grid of many evenly spaced lines, as previously mentioned, normally I'll draw only two lines, space as needed, change one lines start point to be opposite of other and the use the array tool to create a grid with number of lines desired. This creates an opposite start point on every other line.
And in this case, using "use vector start points, don't optimize".. seems to generate the most logical and fastest toolpath (nice, back and forth motion w/o cutting air).
It seems every other order option in the order selection box creates a random order and every time you recalculate, the order changes somewhat.... Is this correct?

And if you don't alternate the start points when drawing the grid, the machine retracts and air cuts to the start point (all at same end if just using array tool w/o the method I described) regardless the order option selected? and some selections really jump around crazy.

When does the selection order become important or useable to reduce machining time with open vectors machined with profile "on" and climb/conventional direction is not an issue ? Or does it have best use for closed vectors?..... Guess I haven't figured out "optimize"

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

TReischl wrote: Maybe a short time with really simple parts. I don't know about you, but if I want to design something like a rectangle that intersects with a circle I use the weld tool. Drawing five separate lines and an arc individually would be ridiculous.
I don't draw 5 lines and an arc either.
But I do all my drawing in AutoCAD, which is far faster, and gives me more control.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Gerry,

I moved away from AutoCad a long time ago. Got sort of clunky feeling to me. . . use Corel these days which is working great.

Lots of nice add ons for ACad though. . .

That is the nice thing about software, if something works better for a person, they can just switch to it and still get their job done.

The other thing I like about Corel is the pricing.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns