Woodworking Laser

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pjblues
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AutoRoute 6

Woodworking Laser

Post by pjblues »

When I was at the Aspire camp a couple of years ago, some of you were using lasers for engraving and cutting versus cnc routers. Now that I have a couple of years experience with routers, I am interested in lasers. I am a home hobby person, not a production shop so I would assume, there are top quality lasers for people like me? What are the preferred brands of lasers being used for processing wood and acrylic? Secondly, I cannot remember, but, I assume, lasers can be used for 3D work? Lastly, is processing with lasers faster than cnc?

Thanks.

pjblues
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Woodworking Laser

Post by pjblues »

Sorry, I did not pay attention, there was another posting on lasers. I have read through the postings and see the big three. However, that said, for cutting 1/2" hard wood, what wattage of laser would I need?

Thanks.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Pjblues,
1/2" cutting wood, 120 watt is probably the minimum
No, you cannot do 3d carving with a laser
Yes, you can do some nice engraving that is a slight 2.5d
For what they do, lasers are faster than cnc
Some projects are better when using both machines such as lithophanes [cnc] with text [laser]
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

No, you cannot do 3d carving with a laser
That is no longer true depending on your definition of 3D. Some of the lasers can do 2.5D/3D work using grayscale 3D models. Kern Lasers is one of the companies demonstrating this. Epilog shows samples as well. Gantry Company sells 3D grayscale artwork.

Image Image
Image Image
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

I have the Kern samples (they are located in Central Mn- my home town- Wadena) and they are truly awe inspiring. It takes a very specialized bitmap to do these files. I have a 130w CO2 laser (Chinese) and have not tried hardwood, but it will cut .5 corian and .75 acrylic. Gene

pjblues
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pjblues »

Great information folks. Thanks so much. I thought a laser over 100 watts would provide the best results and speed.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

GeneMpls wrote:I have the Kern samples (they are located in Central Mn- my home town- Wadena) and they are truly awe inspiring. It takes a very specialized bitmap to do these files. I have a 130w CO2 laser (Chinese) and have not tried hardwood, but it will cut .5 corian and .75 acrylic. Gene
Hi Gene,

You stated "It takes a very specialized bitmap to do these files."

Can you be more specific about this? I always thought any non-compressed high-quality greyscale bitmap of a 3D model would faithfully render regardless of whether it is done with a laser or CNC. Z-height is represented by 256 shades of grey (0-255) typically. I am very curious what is particularly special about these greyscale bitmaps you are referring to.

Thanks in advance for any details you can share.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

FYI if your looking to test any lasers that have this functionality you can export the composite 3D model from Aspire by using the Model drop down menu from the top of the interface and picking "Export as Greyscale Bitmap". There are 5 output options - jpeg, bitmap, tiff and png which I believe will each give you 256 levels of gray to represent the Z range. Then the last one is 16-bit Tiff which will give you a much smoother set of grays (and is the best option if trying to use this for outputting a 3D grayscale map for other software) - not sure if there are lasers supporting this option but if they do in theory it would give you the best results.

NB. You often want to have a background of white in a laser cut image that will represent the top of the material. To achieve this in Aspire you'd need to add a Zero Plane and then effectively sit the model down into the material by applying a negative base-height. IF you just work with a raised model the background will be black and most lasers will then try and cut that full depth...

Cheers,
James

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

Additional info. Just to be clear as instructed above...3D model exports=yes, 2D images=No. For others reading this thread...for images, it is not as simple as just using "any image" you may have and converting that to gray scale. Some softwares do this...like Aspire...but that only works on a 3D model export, not a bitmap. I have both Corel and Adobe and these advanced tools cannot do this as a 2D image does not have the Z height info in the file like a 3D model does. What is needed is a bump or height map and that's a very complex requirement that I have not been able to resolve with these tools. When I need bump/height maps, I purchase them.
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

MFirr:

Before Aspire existed, I used Corel to create bitmaps that could be used in the photo engraving software.

It is totally possible to create 3D images in Corel. This one was created with the Blend tool:
Capture.JPG
Interestingly, I saved it as a 32 bit color TIF file and it worked better than the greyscale options. ::::shrug:::::
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Ted,

Color bitmaps are automatically converted to greyscale(when used for 3D relief applications), even though "we humans" still see it as color.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Russ at Sarbar Multimedia has done some 3D experiments posted here:

pjblues
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pjblues »

Wow, this is absoulte great information, especially for a guy like me. I just thought you purchased a laser and scanned in an image and lasered it.

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

TReischl:

I know Corel and Adobe can do wonders...it's just me who can't.
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser