8.5 user interface slower?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

8.5 user interface slower?

Post by cac67 »

Is it just me or is 8.5 slower than 8.0? Speed is a big deal for me and the u/i seems slower in this new version, I'm back to click and wait. I actually thought I had gotten the 32 bit version by mistake but that's not it.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Re: 8.5 user interface slower?

Post by cac67 »

And what the hell, now I have to confirm twice that I want to delete a tool path?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What do you mean by confirming twice? It only asks me once. That's something a lot of people asked for.

If you want to delete without a confirmation you can right click on the toolpath and choose from the new delete options there.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

Something about the stack being full and I wouldn't be able to undelete it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I wouldn't have thought you would get a message like that unless memory was in short supply which would explain the slow ui as well.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

4gb of ram and no other programs running, I shouldn't have been short on memory. I'll be back in it tonight and I check memory usage.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

4 Gigs of RAM is not enough for a 64 bit OS.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

ger21 wrote:4 Gigs of RAM is not enough for a 64 bit OS.
Really? It was plenty for 8.0.

AndyPitts
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot desktop

Post by AndyPitts »

Chris,

I am running Aspire 8.5 with 4 GB RAM and an Intel Core i5 @ 2.4 GHZ and 64 bit. It works fine, but I've been doing some Extremely High resolution work and that did slow down the machine as expected. The Vectric website says 2GB RAM minimum for Aspire.

Andy
Andy Pitts
AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com
YouTube AndyPitts1000

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I haven't noticed any difference but I wouldn't really expect to with my set up, I doubt the core program has changed from v8 to 8.5 so there shouldn't really be much change if any at all. It is a fresh install so maybe you have altered some of the settings in the past to speed things up & these are now at default values.
Ram is pretty cheap now days so a bit extra would help if speed is important but having said that it depends on so many different factors, what operating system you are running, what processor (single or multi core), hard drive space available & thats before you start looking at what other software is installed & what background tasks windows is performing & of course the type of work you are doing. Vectric say minimum of 2 gig & that would probably be fine if you were just doing a bit of vector based drawing but when it came to any sort of modelling you would probably grow old and grey before you got much done :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

When I read you had 4gb RAM, my first thought was that is too low, as well. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I decided 8gb was bare minimum, so I bought 12gb for my computers.

Now I run 24gb and 32gb to keep everything running tip-top! Martin is right - RAM is not too pricey these days, and is a very good investment, I believe.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

The Vectric website says 2GB RAM minimum for Aspire.
Both of my 64 bit machines use about 2.5Gigs as soon as I turn them on. With just Firefox running, it's close to 3.
I opened a blank high res Aspire file and was at nearly 3.5 gigs of ram.
I would never consider running a 64 bit OS with less than 6-8 Gigs.
I have 16Gigs in my laptop, and 32Gigs on my Desktop.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Chris,

The error you are seeing where it asks you again is because you have filled up the memory allocated for toolpath undos. You get a warning because it means some old toolpath undo operations will be lost. If you are hitting this limit frequently then it may be worth increasing this value. You can change this in the Edit > Options dialog. The value you are looking to change is Maximum Toolpath Undo Stack Size.

Adam

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

AdamJ wrote:Hi Chris,

The error you are seeing where it asks you again is because you have filled up the memory allocated for toolpath undos. You get a warning because it means some old toolpath undo operations will be lost. If you are hitting this limit frequently then it may be worth increasing this value. You can change this in the Edit > Options dialog. The value you are looking to change is Maximum Toolpath Undo Stack Size.

Adam
To address this point first, I got that message on the very first tool path deletion in 8.5.

Now the point of my original post was to find out if anyone else had noticed a significant slow down from 8.0, from the responses it seems I'm the only one. Since my ram is the same ram I run 8.0 in and it's sufficient, I'm going to discount that as the problem. I don't dispute that it would probably be a little better with more ram, but I don't think that's why it's slower for me, and apparently only me.

So I see three possibilities: I've got hardware failing, my windows install is failing, or I got a bad install on 8.5.

I "tested" my hardware by playing a couple of matches in Warthunder on max, smooth as silk. Not scientific but good enough for this case.

I'd like to blame windows, but I think 8.0 would have slowed down too if that was the case.

Which leaves a bad install. Very likely the problem. This is actually the second install, the first time it crashed every time I tried to access the edit menu. Uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled, now working but slow. But I'm going to do up a fresh windows install before I install it again, just to feed my irrational hatred of windows.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Chris, if you are going to do a fresh install of windows then I am guessing that this is a computer that doesn't get used for much else other than the cnc machine. If that is the case then you may want to look at optimising windows at the same time, in fact even if you use the machine for other things there is quite a bit you can do to speed it up & prevent hang ups when running programs.