8.5 user interface slower?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Re: 8.5 user interface slower?

Post by cac67 »

martin54 wrote:What virtual machine are you running Chris??
If you only had 8.5 installed then I am guessing that your virtual hard drive would be more than big enough even if only a smallish percentage of free hard drive space is used.
Seems strange though that 8 runs ok & 8.5 doesn't :?
Virtualbox.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

Can someone confirm the md5 checksum for the file I downloaded? bb1ed7d85e3366905ba232c079ce1c2e for AspireV8502_Setup.exe

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

Yes, the checksum is correct: bb1ed7d85e3366905ba232c079ce1c2e

E

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

EdwardP wrote:Yes, the checksum is correct: bb1ed7d85e3366905ba232c079ce1c2e

E
Thank you.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

Problem solved in 8.505

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

ger21 wrote:2Tb is a hard drive, not RAM. :D
Sorry, I just checked the machine, I haven't been using it much lately.
It's 2 tb RAM and 4 tb hard drive :D
The machine was special build.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Ms Wolffie wrote:It's 2 tb RAM and 4 tb hard drive :D
Where did you find these values? AFAIK, the max RAM Windows can handle in pro and enterprise version is 512GB. And mother boards generally handle much less.

I do not know the exact English naming of menu items, but in Windows Explorer, right click "Computer" in the left pane and select "Properties".

You'll see the actual size of RAM. On my snapshot, you'll see nearly 6Gb. Aren't you confusing GB and TB?

What did your seller told you?
Attachments
VMware Fusion 5.jpg
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Ms Wolffie wrote:
Check again :lol: As LGM has said windows is not capable of addressing that much memory, in fact the max size ram module available is 128gig & that is server ram, at that size for 2tb you would need about 15 sticks of memory :lol: :lol:

Very few motherboards will support more than 64gig of memory, even very expensive gaming motherboards will only support 64gig.

Not that it really matters, if you have a fast machine that you are happy with that's really all that matters :lol: :lol:

Chris, glad to here your problem has been resolved although we never really discovered the reason for it.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

cac67 wrote:Problem solved in 8.505
I didn't chime in because I only had an indefinite feeling of loss of reactivity running 8.5 in a WMware virtual machine. But as my machine is quite powerful, it was not very clear.

I confirm I have no more this feeling with 8.505.

@Ms Wolffie: don't you have a 2GB SSD + a 4 GB mechanical drive?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

martin54 wrote:
Ms Wolffie wrote:
Check again :lol: As LGM has said windows is not capable of addressing that much memory, in fact the max size ram module available is 128gig & that is server ram, at that size for 2tb you would need about 15 sticks of memory :lol: :lol:

Very few motherboards will support more than 64gig of memory, even very expensive gaming motherboards will only support 64gig.

Not that it really matters, if you have a fast machine that you are happy with that's really all that matters :lol: :lol:

Chris, glad to here your problem has been resolved although we never really discovered the reason for it.
Windows Server 64 bit can handle 2TB RAM.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... er_2008_r2

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

LittleGreyMan wrote:.

@Ms Wolffie: don't you have a 2GB SSD + a 4 GB mechanical drive?
That would be TB, not GB.
But 2TB SSD's are incredibly expensive, and 4GB hard drives haven't been made for many years.
I think that most X99 chipset motherboards will support 128Gb of RAM, but most start at $200-$250. They support quad channel DDR4, and usually have 8 memory slots.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

ger21 wrote:That would be TB, not GB.
Yep, this was a typo.
LittleGreyMan wrote:Aren't you confusing GB and TB?
:P

BTW, I meant "mixing up", not "confusing".
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

So after all the discussion of ram needed for Aspire I'm still convinced that 4gb is enough if Aspire is all you're running. I only run Aspire in the windows virtual machine but I've usually got several things running in the host. I run 3 monitors, one has opera browser with my email open in it, one has the picture I'm working from in an image viewer program, I have a file manager window open but minimized and I have chrome with 5 or 6 tabs open, one of which is streaming music through pandora. I've known for some time that this implementation of chrome is a memory hog, but didn't really know how much. So this morning I opened a memory monitor widget on one screen and went through the programs I normally run. Most are minor, just blips. Chrome was about 2.5 gb. No programs running, just system was about 1 gb. That means my host is very low on ram when I'm running the vm. So I spent the $36 to order another 8 Gb of ram, and I'll go ahead and allocate 8 gb to the vm and 8gb to the host. I'll run with 16 Gb for probably the rest of this year then build a new desktop, probably an I7 with 32gb ram.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Chris I think it really depends on 2 things, firstly what you are actually doing at the time & secondly how long you think is an unreasonable amount of time for the machine to complete it's calculations.
I have a laptop I use some of the time that has 6 gig ram an old dual core processor & no dedicated graphics so it's far from state of the art but I don't really do anything that complex on it so it runs well enough for me, the odd toolpath calculation runs a little slow but not slow enough that it really bothers me.
My view is that if your happy with what you have then there is little point throwing any money at the machine, if you are not then spend what you need to to get the performance you want :lol: :lol: :lol:

NathanD

Post by NathanD »

I'd like to echo what Martin has just said but also offer the idea of bottlenecks within your system. If your CPU is state of the art, but you have very little in terms of memory (RAM - not the hard drive related stuff!) then your RAM would be a bottleneck, causing your CPU to suffer. This would also work in backwards and with most components within your system, such as hard drive - I used to run with a very old hard drive which pretty much made any high end components in my system moot, because accessing the file system was slow and therefore they had to halt to wait for them to get the required files. I currently run on an i7, with 8GB of RAM (it's actually a tablet PC) which is absolutely fine when doing most things within Aspire, and to generalise a little bit, OK in most programs (such as other 3D modelling programs and environments).

As you previously said, 4GB of RAM would be OK but unfortunately in your scenario the VM itself would consume an amount of RAM for itself as well as the OS you're running, as would your main operating system and any other programs which you have open in either - this amounts up very quickly, especially considering the background usage of some processes within your computer. Thankfully as you said the problem was fixed with the patch to 8.505 though, and I know I'm pretty much regurgitating a fair amount of information already presented by other users, but for the sake of any other users stumbling into this thread looking for answers I wanted to touch on the idea of ensuring your hardware is not hindered by other components.

Thanks, Nathan.