Cutting poster board

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
David Corrigan
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Cutting poster board

Post by David Corrigan »

I need to cut this pattern out of a piece of poster board. Any ideas on how to go about doing that?
pattern.JPG

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Cutting poster board

Post by garylmast »

If you get a higher quality bitmap (the one posted is too low resolution to work good), you can use the "trace bitmap" (chicken icon). Before you start, hold Shift when creating new file and select maximum resolution. Also, you may try to improve the bitmap in photoshop before importing it into Aspire. If that fails, you can always hand trace it.

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by jhop »

I cut paper and poster board with a laser engraver after performing the steps stated by garylmast. It would be great if you have someone in your area with a laser engraver. The results are hard to beat.

David Corrigan
Vectric Craftsman

Post by David Corrigan »

I should have explained. I actually have the vectors for this. I quickly just used the snipping tool on windows to get an image of it to attach to this post so that is not an issue. I don't know anyone with a laser engraver. I would love to own one myself but they are so expensive. What would happen if I just used a small endmill and did a profile cut without any tabs?

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

David,
Maybe not and endmill? I bought an Onsrud 30 degree with a .005" flat that Allstar Adhesive recommended for cutting their 1/16" closed cell foam gasket, maybe it would cut posterboard too?
Imperative spoilboard absolutely flat I would think.
I'm thinking double sided Scotch tape for hold down unless you have vac?
Just thinking.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

David Corrigan
Vectric Craftsman

Post by David Corrigan »

I actually have one of those engraving bits. I didn't think to try that but it sounds like a good idea. Worth a try anyway. Thanks.

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

David,
Where are you located? I have a 12x24 CO2 laser and could cut that for you. I wouldn't charge anything for a one off and would get to meet someone with my same interests. I am in north central Idaho south of Couer D Alene and north of Boise.

jarm2
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

I'd suggest a 1/8" single flute bit (often used to cut plastic). I've cut lots of gator board with that bit with good results.

David Corrigan
Vectric Craftsman

Post by David Corrigan »

jarm2 wrote:David,
Where are you located? I have a 12x24 CO2 laser and could cut that for you. I wouldn't charge anything for a one off and would get to meet someone with my same interests. I am in north central Idaho south of Couer D Alene and north of Boise.

jarm2
Thank you, I appreciate the offer but the piece is 11 x 31 and wouldn't fit in your machine. I have been looking into buying one of those machines. How do you like it?

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Hi David- I tried to PM you but could not. I am quite knowledgeable about lasers if you would like more info. Gene