Star Wars

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pjblues
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AutoRoute 6

Star Wars

Post by pjblues »

I am just curious if anyone has carved a Darth Vadar head in wood? I am thinking of trying it but am not sure how to do it? Would it be better to scan a drawing of it and then import it to Aspire or just go ahead and try drawing it in Aspire. What would really be cool is if I could figure out how to do it in 3D?

Thanks.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Star Wars

Post by dealguy11 »

First, a caution. This is a copyrighted image. If you're doing it for anyone but yourself, especially if you're doing it for sale, then my suggestion is "don't". Same with asking anyone else to do it for you.

If you can find a good vector line image, you might be able to import it and V-carve it with some vector editing (probably a lot of it). You're probably better off getting an image you like, importing it and drawing the vectors yourself using the image as a template. It would certainly be possible to do a 3d version - you would build it up from a number of sub-components, as shown in the Vectric 3d tutorials.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

I'm guessing you can find a 3d object (stl, obj, etc) of it (him?) on thingiverse or similar. Just use that and slice it so you can make it out of 3/4" boards.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Frunple wrote:I'm guessing you can find a 3d object (stl, obj, etc) of it (him?) on thingiverse or similar. Just use that and slice it so you can make it out of 3/4" boards.
I would go as far as to say I would put money on being able to find one somewhere :lol:

But as dealguy11 has said be very careful with stuff like this because of copyright.

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 2008 48x96 ShopBot spindle and Aspire

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Find an stl (thingiverse), import into Aspire, create 3d model. Sample shown is about 5x5x1, shows about 1:30 to cut. Russ

AKA: The Train Guy!