Plexiglas painting anomaly

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Dustmite
Model of CNC Machine: OmioCnc X6-2200L

Re: Plexiglas painting anomaly

Post by Dustmite »

As I read this thread, an idea popped in the head. Perhaps try black plasti-dip from the spray can as your base coat under the clear coat and see if that works without crackling. Again unsure of prices compared to what your using but....

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I'm pretty much done experimenting with this, I've ruined about 4 square ft of 3/8 plexi and thats enough for me.

Make sure to post if you try, as of right now I am content with the latest method.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Sorry to have missed this thread when the questions were being asked, as a signmaker I learnt early on that surfaces are never as clean as you think they are. Even if you have just removed a protective film it is still best to give them a wipe over. I use isopropyl alcohol for most things & with acrylic I will also wipe it with an anti static cleaner (belt & braces sort of thing :lol: )

Is there no way you can remove the paint without damaging the plexiglas Xxray? Guess it would be back to experimenting again to ensure the plexi isn't damaged or melted.

Just goes to show you though, a topic you didn't think there would be much response to has run for 6 pages :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

This last one I made didn't wipe, don't think it was a factor with my problem but I agree, better safe than sorry. I'm sure the protective wrap must leave a film of some sort.

I could easily get the paint off, but would still be left with a botched etch. I guess I could just turn that into a poor mans edge lit sign ,,, But these are mostly meant for sale to my work buddies and like most here, if I think something is shabby I wouldn't even attempt to sell it for decent $$.
The 1st major botch found a permanent place on my wall of shame, another I did some useful experimenting on. A couple more I will sell as is dirt cheap [$20] for nice garage hangers. Still won't literally throw away a flawed piece like that though, they'll sit for weeks, months or maybe years outside my garage until some use comes up for them.

I hope this thread turns some wheels in peoples minds, when they come out nice they are very gratifying and are very appealing for desk signs or hangers for anything 2D. This would be the go to thread for anyone with paint/plexi problems.
Doug

gwandad
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBldOXHomebuilt&designed4thAxis

Post by gwandad »

I'm not sure if this has been raised before. I'm just starting with Photo V carving. The only way I know to get paint to bond reliably is to lightly sand the entire surface with 220 grit paper (after thorough clean). I didn't invent this, I went to Dulux with the problem. Have a look at http://www.duspec.com.au/duspec/file/ausd5048.pdf and http://www.ehow.com/way_5535070_paints- ... glass.html for more info. I hope this is of some assistance,

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Sanding would not be an option for these, as I want them clear as a glass. Of course, if you wanted a frosted look, then that would work fine.

In any case I did find reliable solutions through trial and error, and have no adhesion issues whatsoever - One thing I learned for sure is that Rustoleum black + matte clear coat is not a good idea on plexiglas.
Doug