Confused: Aspire 8 Trial Version

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Confused: Aspire 8 Trial Version

Post by Jozua »

I was so impressed that I could import a PDF document with some drawings/vectors in the new version of Aspire.

It is however disappointing that the imported vectors cannot be joined, unless one delete some of them and redraw it by hand.

Maybe this most basic function of joining two vectors is also disabled for the Trail Version.

See attached pictures:

I inserted two guide lines and in the node editing mode moved each of the vector endpoints to snap to the intersection of the guidelines.

No matter what I do; None of the join vectors options is working. Not “Join Open Vectors” or "Join/Close vectors with a straight line" or "Join/Close vectors with a smooth curve" or "Join/Close vectors by moving endpoints to common point". :shock:

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe the PDF data only serves as background data and one have to redraw all the vectors again by hand.

Joz
Attachments
Join Vectors-1.jpg
Join Vectors-2.jpg

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: Confused: Aspire 8 Trial Version

Post by kilrabit »

The icons seem to close only a set of lines that only lack final closing.

Shift and select each of the two lines, and right click and select the option of closing, that you want.

Roy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Hold down the left mouse button and drag the selection rectangle around those vectors. Then look at the status bar at the bottom where it shows S:

If it's showing more than 2 then that's your problem. The join tools will close two vectors at a time. You will need to select two at a time and close that way until it's all done.

Looking at your 2nd picture it looks like you've got some duplicate vectors in the vertical as well which would lead to the same issue.

Aspire has always imported PDF documents that were purely vectors. What's new with the latest version is that it will import any bitmaps in the file as well.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

Thank you for the replies.

The highlighted lines are the two vectors that I needed to close and where the trial software failed to do it. It is how I was doing it from Aspire 1.0 up to Aspire 4.5

Adrian, I also was under the impression that it might be a duplicate vector but it is not.

See attached picture where I moved that vector to the left – it is a single vector.

I then drew a vector with the Aspire drawing tools to replace the one (from the PDF to the left) and then I had No Problem joining the vectors.

Still confused.
Attachments
Join Vectors-3.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

With the vertical line you're showing on the left of the picture go into node edit mode and move the top and bottom nodes. I expect you'll find it's actually a line going back over itself.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

Thanks Adrian, I never encountered anything like that so I followed your advise.

It still looks just like a “single” vector with a start and end point, no matter how I move the nodes.

Actually this is not such a huge issue, I join what I can and then delete those that refuse to join and quickly redraw that by hand.

It is way better than the “work-around” in the past for importing data from a PDF document. I can live with that.
Attachments
Join Vectors-4.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you can attach the actual file then I'm sure it can be sorted out. It's hard to diagnose 100% from pictures.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

Adrian, Attached is the .crv3d file from the trial version. I Drew 4 ellipses around the vectors in question. The rest of the vectors had no problem with the joining commands.

I am sure that it is something simple that I overlook, but for some reason this is way above my pay-grade.

Thanks for the help.
Joz
Attachments
Join Vectors.crv3d
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Doh, of course I completely forgot that no-one else can open a file created with the trial version. :oops:

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

Whoops!!! Adrian, you of all people .........how could you?? :shock: