Odd text engraving

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Odd text engraving

Post by martin54 »

It was meant as a constructive comment George, didn't think it was bad but did feel it could have been a little better, understandable now you have explained what you did lol. One reason I asked about the artwork was because I did a job for a guy I know who wanted the Square & Compass & I had a hard time finding a decent version of it on the net, slightly different version to the one you have done but I ended up drawing it pretty much from scratch to get it right.

Yes the lighter spring makes a big difference & it's easy enough to pop it in, if I was doing aluminium I would probably try both & see which gave the best results, bad memory sorry but will check where I got them from & let you know, think the postage cost more than the springs lol

To be honest you don't really need a diamond bit, the carbide ones you have should do a good enough job, mine do but obviously won't last as long as the diamond before they need replaced or re-sharpeded, I noticed the guy was also selling diamond bits cheaply so messaged him as soon as I bought the drag bit & asked if I could buy one. Got a message back to say sorry he didn't have any left, then the following day got another message to say he had posted the drag bit & had found a diamond bit lying around so had thrown it in for free.

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Post by Len-Tikular »

Hi Martin, your comments were taken as being constructive indeed, many thanks for that,

Does your bit have a screw holding the spring in place. It looks like the tension can be altered by use of the screw ?

I can email you my Square and compass artwork if still needed, no problem at all,

Vest regards

George
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

George, stainless steel body with the screw at the top to alter spring tension. I just felt that even with minimal loading on the spring it would be to much for soft substrates like acrylic where it doesn't take a lot to mark the surface & you aren't looking for it to cut to deeply, great for hard materials like steel though.
Thanks but the version I needed was a little more complex than the one you have done & now I have redrawn it I have it for future use if I need it. If I need something less complex it's easy enough to remove some of the detail lol.

I didn't even try acrylic with the supplied spring so I could very easily be wrong, have done a few bits & bobs with the carbide tips & the results are good so you might want to try before buying a diamond tip.

This is actually the second drag tool I have bought, the first one was about the same price but is all aluminium construction, seemed to work well for 5 mins :roll:
The tip now wobbles about so I think the hole must have become enlarged due to the aluminium construction.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

drag1.jpg
drag2.jpg
They were done with the carbide bit George while experimenting, the top one is actually glass, it's an old double glazed unit.
Bottom one is acrylic & you can see the carbide tip has done a good enough job, did the same image at the same size with the diamond bit & couldn't see a difference, Diamond will obviously last longer though.

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Post by Len-Tikular »

Jimmy60-1.jpg
Jimmy60-1.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
martin54 wrote:
The attachment drag1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment drag2.jpg is no longer available
They were done with the carbide bit George while experimenting, the top one is actually glass, it's an old double glazed unit.
Bottom one is acrylic & you can see the carbide tip has done a good enough job, did the same image at the same size with the diamond bit & couldn't see a difference, Diamond will obviously last longer though.
Thanks, these look good,

Here is the Masonic book I did for my pal Jimmy. Solid walnut and was done on my flatbed CNC machine.
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

Uncle Bob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5 ATC

Post by Uncle Bob »

Brother,
Loved the toothpick holder.

Fraternally,
Felix #3
Washington, DC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Uncle Bob, take a look at the date on the posts, about 7 years ago. . . .

I think Len is still around though.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns