Trying to make simple 3D model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: other software 50-50 router, Mach3, Epilog 60W

Trying to make simple 3D model

Post by lockeyone »

For some of you this will be simple, me not so. Struggling to get what you see in the pictures. Been asked to make few of these crosses to replace missing ones is a chapel connected to a hospital I do some work at. Try as I might, I can't get the look I am after. The small spurs (points) I can't seem to get to point up like the original. I watched a few 3D videos but didn't see this type of design, more like what I had in my test piece. I used a 1/16" ball nose to cut the test piece. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
GS cross.crv3d
Cross
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
cross1.jpg
cross2.jpg
cross3.jpg
cross4.jpg
cross5.jpg
If you want to kill time, why not work it to death!

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Trying to make simple 3D model

Post by lockeyone »

OK, I think I am getting somewhere. Now I need to figure out how to cut on the main cross down to the 3D points. Any ideas. Boy, this 3D stuff if tough if you don't use it more often.
Attachments
cross.jpg
Good Sams Star2.crv3d
(68.5 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

Ok, I might be there. I lowered the 3D cross and changed up how I machined it. I think I will be able to sleep tonight :-). Will try machining it tomorrow. So much time on this little part, but that's how I learn I guess.
Attachments
cross1.jpg

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Looks like you might have it from the image generated from the program. I've found the image it generates is the same as the finished product. Was the original image the program generated similar to the finished product, or did you not look at it the first time?
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Lockeyone,

Yep, the learning does tend to stretch your self, but that's is how you "get there".

Glad you worked through it.

You can draw boundaries around the areas you want to 3D machine and do all the rest with 2D machining.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lockeyone »

Ran my newest design, made a few tweaks after cutting first one. Cut in balsa. I'll hand this off to the guy that will stain it and tell him if his staining doesn't work we can try to find a better wood. I didn't seem to have anything I thought was like it.

"You can draw boundaries around the areas you want to 3D machine and do all the rest with 2D machining."
That's how I did it. 11 minutes machining time. I can live with that.

I have learned to trust the Aspire image renderings. I just need to look close and if I see something may be wrong, it usually is. My first try I was hoping it would be good enough but after holding in my hand I just couldn't use it. This one is so close I can live with it. My guess the location of this is 10 ft+ away when seen. Maybe once he hangs it I'll snap a picture to add this this post.

The good will that I get from projects like this always anchors my business with my customers. Projects like this can really get my mind off my job, which is why I do it and enjoy it. Just need more hours in the day :-0
Attachments
cross-a.jpg
cross-b.jpg
cross-c.jpg