Default setting problem in 4.5: Material top

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
GraClay

Default setting problem in 4.5: Material top

Post by GraClay »

G'day all, I have recently upgraded from 3.5 to 4.5 and have found a new problem with the default settings.
On the previous version my material setup when creating a new blank job or opening file in a new job always defaulted to bottom of material however in 4.5 it is now defaulting to top of material.
This of course has allowed me to cut into my haloed table top which goes against my grain, pardon the pun.
I have set the program options, window layout to all ticked yes (please see pic) just as I had in 3.5 but everytime I open a new job it is back to "material top"
Can anyone please tell what I have set wrong and how to get it to default to material bottom.

GC
Attachments
Defaulting to material top.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Default setting problem in 4.5: Material top

Post by Adrian »

Settings like that are dependant on the last job created. If you make a new job with the Z at the bottom of the material and save it all new jobs from that point on will have the Z at the bottom.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Adrian, thanks for the reply. So far I've tried that several times but the next new job is set to top of material even after setting the previous job to bottom of material.

I have just tried it on my home PC and your way works perfectly but at my factory is where I'm having the problem.
I noticed my options are set differently at home so will try with those settings tomorrow when I'm back at work..... or play depending on how the day goes :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you know your way around the Windows registry you could check the value of ZOrigin (0 is the top of the material, 2 is the bottom) in the NewFileMaterialBlock section of AspireV4. That is what is changed when you set the Z in material setup and should reflect the last used value. Sounds like yours isn't updating for some reason.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Adrian, thanks again for that. I do know my way around the registry so will try it.

regards, Graham

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

What I do to make sure my settings are the same each time is to make a blank file just the way I want it "save as", as example, "bottom zero", and save to an aspire folder on my desktop. Then in properties make the file read only, then it cannot be changed, you open your read only settings file, save you new file "save as" a new name and work as normal. I have about 10 different Aspire icons with different names with the setting I want, and always setup the way they need to be.

Roy

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

By chance is your work PC one that you have to log into? Depending on how it was set up Windows may simply "undo" any changes a sub-user (with no admin permissions) makes to all but the user's documents folders. You are probably the admin at home, where changes to the registry stick.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Adrian, I restarted the PC and the problem is solved, thanks again for the help and particularly the registry heads up.

Kilrabit, top idea and I will look further into it.

4D, both work and home are stand alone PCs running not that old but fast & trusty XP. (The work PC sits next to a win98 box, I have 1/2 dozen or so still running win98 with the squarish LCD monitors).

Thanks again for the replies.