can't pocket

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

can't pocket

Post by wcarrothers »

Ok... I have this one letter in my engraving which I can not get the program to fill a pocket tool path. Typically this is because a vector is off or the opening is not big enough, but I'm choosing tools that should/do easily fit. If I move some of the nodes a bit then it will fill. But other wise it should but will not.

Just a simple letter N If I scale it just a little bigger it fits, But clearly should fit that same tool at it's current size.

Anyone seeing something I'm not?
Attachments
CantPocket.crv3d
(23 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Re: can't pocket

Post by CarveOne »

Zoom in to the corners of the letter and see if there is a small loop in the vector lines. If yes, node edit will let you correct it so the vector makes an angle turn with no loop in the vector.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Post by wcarrothers »

Far as I saw there isn't any small loops. I do know about that issue. Litterally you bump a couple of the vectors just a bit making it wider and suddenly the program will path out the engraving tool chosen, which otherwise should have fit. It does the same for the bit I'd like to use all the way down to a bit that is .005" flat which clearly would fit. Scale it just a little larger and suddenly again it will path where before it didn't.

I've draged all the vectors to see if there is a loop. And again moving one of nodes over does change something alowing it to figure it out and make a real path. Other wise it just puts a little path in one of the corners.

b

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'd say the calculation is using the tool diameter rather than the tooltip diameter. Not sure which is correct to be honest as I don't use that sort of tool.

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Using your tool set up I get a single plunge into a depth of about 0.1716 inches deep. Just changing the "D" diameter +/- 0.001 will toolpath correctly. I don't understand it. BUT, that is what I get. I also tried using a 45 deg chamfer bit with the same results as with your tool. I even increased the diameter of your tool to 0.250 and it toolpathed correctly.

Stonemason101
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4Axis Router

Post by Stonemason101 »

I used the 2o degree tool I would normally chose. Dont see no problems
CantPocket2.crv3d
(45.5 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

It'd the cutter.

I used a .005 end mill and no problem,

Sometimes you just gotta lie.

You can still put the cutter in the machine that you want to use - but do the program with a .0039 end mill.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC