Importing files

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Lameiii
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD1

Importing files

Post by Lameiii »

When importing dxf and stl files I've ran into a problem on some but not all of them.
On a recent dxf file I imported but then couldn't find it in the Aspire window.
On a recent stl file the image imports but is HUGE in the window and I'm unable to find the corner of the image in an attempt to make it smaller.
I've tried to find how I can overcome these issues but I'm still reasonably new to Aspire.

Jim

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Re: Importing files

Post by ssflyer »

Hi Jim,

A lot of times a DXF file will import into left field, so to speak. Right after import click the Center in material button or hit f9. It should already be selected, so be sure not to click anywhere before centering. If you happened to click and unselect it, simply press ctrl-a to reselect it all, then center.

Regarding the STL imports, there are a couple of options. You can select the size right in the import tab. If you didn't do that, you can always select the component and scale it to whatever size you like.

BTW, I almost always use the scale button to size things, as it gives much better control...
Ron Sloan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't have Aspire but every design program I have used has a zoom to all option. In vcarve if something I import can't be seen on screen then I just hit the zoom to all button to find it.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

In vcarve if something I import can't be seen on screen then I just hit the zoom to all button to find it.
Martin,
Please show us where the "zoom to all" button/command is in VCarve Pro?

Tim

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

tmerrill wrote:
In vcarve if something I import can't be seen on screen then I just hit the zoom to all button to find it.
Martin,
Please show us where the "zoom to all" button/command is in VCarve Pro?

Tim
OK so there isn't one which you obviously know with the experience you have using vectric software. I don't use it a lot but knew there was a way I found imported graphics that were off the page.
Thought this was a friendly place but if people are just going to make me look stupid then not worth being here.

For the original poster. Sorry my mistake but if after importing you press the zoom to selection button that will take you to it. Need to do that before you select anything else though.

Druid_ian
Model of CNC Machine: CNC6040

Post by Druid_ian »

if you have a scrolling centre mouse button that will Zoom in and out

Druid_ian
Model of CNC Machine: CNC6040

Post by Druid_ian »

hmm just looked under 2d view control a click on the 4th button will zoom out to selection as well