Kitchen Cabinet Software?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Kitchen Cabinet Software?

Post by usLEDsupply »

Has anyone used Cabinet Parts Pro or CabinetProSoftware? i am going to build the cabinets for my kitchen and am thinking it would be worth getting some Cabinet software as there are going to be a lot of cabinets and drawers but i can't find much info or YouTube videos on Cabinet Parts Pro so i am not sure how easy it is to pick up or if it can make several cabinets built together to save on wood and space, Cabinet Pro seems to have all the features but it is a bit pricy and i don't need all the cnc stuff as i would rather make the toolpaths in Aspire anyway. So i figured i would see if anyone has use anything they like.
Thanks

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Software?

Post by kilrabit »

I bought Cabinet Parts Pro, I tried it and trashed it, this is a personal opinion, just could not get it to make some of the cabinets correctly. Then tried Cabinet Planner, more robust do not have to recut any pieces on the table saw, and when you build the cabinets virtually on a wall the measurements are dead on. Overall it has been a very good program, very good for the price.

The only thing I dislike about it is you have to have permission to view their forum, even though I bought the program I was refused access even more than one try. I guess being from Texas has something to do with it.

But, with a little work everything worked fine and am happy with the program, you can even design the whole house with it. I looked at quite a few different programs, but stuck with this one.

Roy

Novaprops
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Post by Novaprops »

kilrabit wrote:I bought Cabinet Parts Pro, I tried it and trashed it, this is a personal opinion, just could not get it to make some of the cabinets correctly. Then tried Cabinet Planner, more robust do not have to recut any pieces on the table saw, and when you build the cabinets virtually on a wall the measurements are dead on. Overall it has been a very good program, very good for the price.

The only thing I dislike about it is you have to have permission to view their forum, even though I bought the program I was refused access even more than one try. I guess being from Texas has something to do with it.

But, with a little work everything worked fine and am happy with the program, you can even design the whole house with it. I looked at quite a few different programs, but stuck with this one.

Roy
How useful is a program like this if you have CorelDRAW or Illustrator already? How automated is the process?

I may be interested in picking up Cabinet Planner.

I don't have time to try the trial version right now or I would.

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Corel and Illistrator are not necessary. This program shows the 3D, you stretch and move any cabinet and make them any size you want in 2D. You measure a wall, and build the cabinets to fit, and it will produce the dxf files already nested if you want, and print out a master list, you can look at and see each and every piece. I am not here to advertise for them I was just answering a question. The website can explain everything for you.

Roy

Novaprops
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Post by Novaprops »

Thanks! I'll check into it more when I can.

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice

Post by usLEDsupply »

Thanks kilrabit that is was i was figuring when i couldn't find any info on Cabinet Parts Pro but i was hoping someone would say it was great so i wouldn't have spend as much $ i did see the Cabinet Planner one and it looks like it may do the job and at that price it would be worth it just to make the bathroom cabinets
Has anyone used CabinetProSoftware?

fixtureman
Vectric Wizard

Post by fixtureman »

You can download a working copy of CCP

dmthomson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dmthomson »

Here is another option. eCabinets from Thermwood. Use it to design your cabinets, do a nesting of all the parts, then you can take the dimensions for the parts and input them into Aspire/V-Carve and cut them on your CNC.

Yes, there is a lot of manual work doing the translation, but it would be very accurate and eCabinets will calculate everything for you.
Don
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Norb
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: MAXI-C 1530 SE-T-V

Post by Norb »

If you do a lot of cabinets, I suggest Ness Tillson's Polyboard at cabinetdesigner.net . It's over US$ 2500 though for outright purchase. There is a free version which requires you to send the output to Ness Tillson and for a fee of (I believe) $100 per job he will send you a layered DXF file.

I trialled it a couple of years ago and found it complicated but that was because I made no effort to understand the terminology he used. A short while ago I did make an effort and in my book it's a great, cabinet-specific programme.

As to CabinetPartsPro, it does a good enough job for simple cabinet constructio but is not really meant for full-fledge 32mm system assembly. Among several drawbacks, the one that bugged me most was the fact that the location for the rear column of shelf holes is measure from the back edge of the cabinet. This means that ANY change to the depth of the cabinet, however minor, will take the line of holes at the back out of alignement with the holes in the metal drawer slides, accessories, etc. Some accessories require 3 columns of holes, measured/positioned either from the front edge or the first hole (from the front) which is not possible in CPP

I have RouterCAD/Autocabinets with MDF Doors 2010-2011 which cost at the time just over US$ 8000. Never got the hang of it although some people love it. Would be willing to let it go at US$ 1200. Absolutely legit version but I am not sure what RouterCAD would charge for transfer of license. PM me if interested
Norbert
Aspire 4.x, PartMasterCAM Turn, Autocabinets
after hours: Sherline 2010 and 4410

nasrace10

Post by nasrace10 »

i use kcdw very pricey but it works perfect and easy to use

zoner
Model of CNC Machine: Self design - 5' x 10' x 1'

Post by zoner »

dmthomson wrote:Here is another option. eCabinets from Thermwood. Use it to design your cabinets, do a nesting of all the parts, then you can take the dimensions for the parts and input them into Aspire/V-Carve and cut them on your CNC.

Yes, there is a lot of manual work doing the translation, but it would be very accurate and eCabinets will calculate everything for you.
Doesn't eCabinets produce the DXF files with layers ? That you can import into Aspire and then nest everything up for the toolpath templates ? I do not know eCabinets but ...

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Zoner...
eCabinets produces an encrypted file that can only be read or cut on a Thermwood machine or a Shopbot with the Shopbot Link installed ($1295 USD)
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice

Post by usLEDsupply »

After all the negative things i heard about CabinetProSoftware's support (won't even talk to you until you have paid for and installed the current months update), lack of demo and crazy $600 custom post processors fee and minimum 3 months rent that is charged thus eliminating the rental option and a way to try before you buy (demo the software)

I think i will go with Cabinet Planner as they respond to emails quickly and seem very helpful and once you figure out how to use the software it seems pretty nice (they could use a few videos that walk you through setup and making your first cabinet, the ones they have seem to be missing a few steps) but other that that it seems pretty good.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

I bought Cabinet Planner and I'm quite happy with it so far. It has a very good 3D previewer for sales materials. It nests the parts for minimum waste and outputs drawings and dxf files. There is a demo version which becomes full featured when you buy the license.

Take a look here for some examples of things done with Cabinet Planner:
http://cabplanner.conforums.com/index.c ... d=projects

For less than $100 you can't go wrong.

Paul Z

PS The support has been outstanding!

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Cabinet planner has a whole house sample with all kinds of cabinets, you can look at each one and export it to a new file if you want, this will show you how each cabinet is made. It sure makes it easy to learn what kind of cabinet, you need and everything I have made with the program has been exactly as the plan shows.

Roy