Who needs another design software when you have Aspire?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
swaggs21
Vectric Craftsman

Who needs another design software when you have Aspire?

Post by swaggs21 »

Figure this post might stir some people up, but hopefully in a good way.

We have been building our house for almost 4 years now (have taken a 2 year break to build my brother's house) and we are at a point where my wife is wanting some things finished up, like her master closet and cabinets and storage in the laundry room.

We have gone over about 400 iterations it feels like on the master closet, and none of them have panned out due to different tastes between my wife and myself. So she told me she just wanted me to draw up what she had sketched so she could see what it looked like in 3D instead of just on paper (with color, etc.)

Make a long story short, I looked at a bunch of cabinet designing applications both software and web-based, and none of them were very easy to use and just draw in. Then I remembered I had made a cabinet door component with the first version of Aspire, and I thought what the heck, I will try to draw everything up with Aspire and see how it goes.

Here are the results, and my wife has finally signed off on them (except for a few minor changes like cabinet door type), meaning we can move on to the next step of the process, me taking a couple of years to build them :D
Attachments
Back wall of walk-in closet
Back wall of walk-in closet
Laundry room cabinets
Laundry room cabinets
-Chris

The new woodworking site:
http://www.33degreeseastww.com

dmthomson
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Who needs another design software when you have Aspire?

Post by dmthomson »

I use Sketchup a LOT to create 3-D views for customers and very detailed project designs. I can then flatten out the 3-D model into its individual pieces and export them as an STL and import them into Aspire for cutting. It's great!
Don
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

I use Aspire for everything I can, but sometimes need a little more. We're getting into doing Google Sketchup drawings for some of our designs to present to customers. Also, I just got a really odd 3-d solid shape in Autocad format from a customer that required me to open it with CAD package, do some transformations and save it in STL format for Aspire to cut.

I will admit that I often throw together quick drawings in Aspire because it's just so much easier than most of the CAD packages!
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

4240harold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: weeke bhp200

Post by 4240harold »

super idea
I use Aspire to do 2D drawings and have found the new function to annotate really useful ,but I never thought of using the 3D.
A sure sign of a good idea is ,when you say to yourself "why did I not think of that"
thanks Harold

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

Chris,

I use a program called "Cabinet Planner" from http://cabinetplanner.com/. It's only $70 and will export in DXF with all the parts nested and on layers. It's easy to learn and once imported into Aspire the geometry can be easily toolpathed. It deserves a look.

Bill

dan nelson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster stinger III x3 with recoil lath

Post by dan nelson »

I use cabinet planner too and I love it . And the 3 d is good enough for presentations

swaggs21
Vectric Craftsman

Post by swaggs21 »

I thought it was neat that it could do some outside of the box types of things.

Most of the users here are better at Aspire than I am, always great to see what they come up with!
-Chris

The new woodworking site:
http://www.33degreeseastww.com

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

Chris,
Great application of a great software! :D
Glenn