I found a way to crash Aspire. . . didn't mean to break it .

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
CountryWoodCrafts
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD & Pro Plus Long Beds

I found a way to crash Aspire. . . didn't mean to break it .

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Doing things that I figured would not work out but did it anyways. I repeated it a few times to the same result.
I went into gadgets . . . I picked Celtic Weave Creator. I just did a 2 x 2.
went to the toolpath toolbar and picked v- carve . . . highlighted vector group and hit calculate . . . . it takes a while
then a windows pop up shows up and says Aspire has quit working hit close to close the program . . .

Sorry . . .didn't mean to break it . . . .

kevrgood
Vectric Craftsman

Re: I found a way to crash Aspire. . . didn't mean to break it .

Post by kevrgood »

aspire 4.0 crashed on me in the middle of a modeling session not sure what caused it though

DDWALKER
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade-Running Mach3

Post by DDWALKER »

I want to start by saying I really like all of the improvements in V4 (especially in the cad snap functions). However, this looks like a great place for me to add my small problem. While in a modeling session I didn't have a full crash but the component tree started acting really slow and also was doing some strange things, such as, part of it disappearing. I would then switch to the drawing tab and come back to modeling tab and the tree would reappear as a complete list again. Also, I was having trouble changing the combine mode of individual components that were part of a group. Changing the combine mode of a grouped component may be bad practice. (let me know) :?

I will add that I was modeling in the highest resolution possible, so this may have contributed to my problem.

-David

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you have gotten Aspire to crash please create a directory C:\temp\ and try to repeat the steps. If it crashes it will create a dump file in the temp directory which you can send to Vectric to help them determine the root cause. It also helps if you can give them the steps you used to trigger the crash.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

Hi George,

Firstly, we're sorry that Aspire crashed. I've followed your steps this morning but unfortunately I cannot repeat the problem trivially here. It seems that you can reproduce it though and we would be really grateful if you could drop an email to support@vectric.com with the precise steps you are using and any other information you think might be useful? I am particularly intrigued with the purpose of V-carving, as this is a very unexpected thing to try and do with the results of the weave creator (it was written to create 3D weaves, which are raster machined). Could you explain in your email what you were trying to achieve as this might also help us to pin down the problem?

Apologies again, but thanks in advance for your help in fixing the problem.

E

PS Randall is absolutely right about how invaluable the crash dump can be in these circumstances, but the location of the file has changed (C:\temp is not always accessible on all machines); the dump file will now be created in your User Data Folder. You can most easily get to this from your Start menu->Aspire 4->User Data Folder link on your Windows start bar.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I have managed to do that a couple of times but didn't realise it was something to worry about, I just used a few choice words, closed the program and started again.
Next time I will know what to do.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

tmcrocker
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Precision Elite 2’x4’

Post by tmcrocker »

I was waiting for somebody to post a mention of the problem with the component tree. Portions of the component tree randomly disappear and I have to click in the blank areas to make those parts reappear or use the global checkbox at the top and check it on and off in order to get the component tree to fully reappear. This seems to occur only after I have grouped portions of the tree.
Tom Crocker

CountryWoodCrafts
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD & Pro Plus Long Beds

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

EdwardP wrote:Hi George,

Firstly, we're sorry that Aspire crashed. I've followed your steps this morning but unfortunately I cannot repeat the problem trivially here. It seems that you can reproduce it though and we would be really grateful if you could drop an email to support@vectric.com with the precise steps you are using and any other information you think might be useful? I am particularly intrigued with the purpose of V-carving, as this is a very unexpected thing to try and do with the results of the weave creator (it was written to create 3D weaves, which are raster machined). Could you explain in your email what you were trying to achieve as this might also help us to pin down the problem?

I will send you and email . . .I actually have 4 noted crashes with 4.0. two happened the other day and I can't remember what I was doing when they happened. And the reason I was trying this is I find you can get some wild results when you use the toolpaths on unique geometric patterns. I just was interested in the outcome . . .but it crashed instead. I have some unique V-carvings from such experiments . . . The new weave creator has interesting possibilities with the vector overlapping output. As I said I was just experimenting to see what would happen . . . If you don't try something you will never know

Apologies again, but thanks in advance for your help in fixing the problem.

E

PS Randall is absolutely right about how invaluable the crash dump can be in these circumstances, but the location of the file has changed (C:\temp is not always accessible on all machines); the dump file will now be created in your User Data Folder. You can most easily get to this from your Start menu->Aspire 4->User Data Folder link on your Windows start bar.

[ADMIN] Edited to remove windows path to Aspire dump file by CountryWoodWorks to avoid confusion - if a dump file is created Aspire catches the exception and overrides default Windows location and places it in the User Data Folder. The WER file from windows contains much less information.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

the dump file will now be created in your User Data Folder
I learned something new!
- Randall Newcomb

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I was waiting for somebody to post a mention of the problem with the component tree. Portions of the component tree randomly disappear and I have to click in the blank areas to make those parts reappear or use the global checkbox at the top and check it on and off in order to get the component tree to fully reappear. This seems to occur only after I have grouped portions of the tree.
Tom,

You may want to post that under a new thread soe it doesn't get lost with this one.
- Randall Newcomb

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

DDWALKER wrote:Also, I was having trouble changing the combine mode of individual components that were part of a group. Changing the combine mode of a grouped component may be bad practice. (let me know) :?

-David
David, You can't change the individual combine mode with in a group and should not have any problem changing the combine mode of a group.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/