Cutting A 5 Degree Taper

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ccamember
Model of CNC Machine: cnc shark

Cutting A 5 Degree Taper

Post by ccamember »

Can someone help me with the tool path to create a 5° taper from the top to the bottom of the board? The dimensions on the board are 8” long and 2” high and wide. I would be putting the taper on board sides of the wood. After I create the taper on the wood I will be putting a checkering pattern on that same side. If someone could point me in the right direction on the one side I will figure out how to flip it and do the other side. I am teaching myself to use Aspire. Any help would be appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cutting A 5 Degree Taper

Post by Adrian »

You can't do a taper that forms an undercut from the top to the bottom like that. You would have to do it in reverse.

Wouldn't it be quicker to cut the taper on the table saw?

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Adrian is correct in that you cannot cut a negative taper as shown, However you can flip the part and cut it on the top.
Then flip the part over to cut the opposite side. That will create a wedge shape.
5 Deg Taper 1.PNG
5 Deg Taper 2.PNG
5 Deg Taper 3.PNG
You could hold the parts in a vise or clamp them to a 2 x 4 bolted to your table and trimmed to make straight.
Good luck

ccamember

Post by ccamember »

Adrian and Dond thank you for your prompt answers. Like I said I am A newbie to Aspire and I really appreciate your help and guidance. Thank you for helping me with my learning curve.

dustmaker1
Model of CNC Machine: Biesse Rover 22

Post by dustmaker1 »

Just wondering if this is why I can not create a slot in the edge of a panel. I can create the slot with the proper tool and profile tool path but can not show it that way in the preview. Is that correct?
Thanks
Paul R

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Try the topic on taper holes, maybe it will help.
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 810#p79810

ccamember

Post by ccamember »

I have been playing with it since I posted and would like to thank you all for your suggestions. What I came up with and tried in Aspire was to use a wedge of wood cut on a 5° taper and mount it under the piece of wood to be milled. The first tool path would mill the surface flat and the second tool path would cut the checkering. In Aspire it appears to work, in practice not sure yet. Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions.