Looking for a side view of a motorcycle tire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Looking for a side view of a motorcycle tire

Post by myshadowboxes »

By any chance does anyone have a side view of a motorcycle tire? I have looked around and can't find one.

Thanks

Anthony

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Looking for a side view of a motorcycle tire

Post by tmerrill »

Anthony,

If you can't find what you want, Aspire has all the tools to create one. I won't say it is simple, but would be a good lesson in 2 rail sweep, Create Shape, Circular Array copy, etc. When you are done it would be exactly what you need.

Quick (i.e., crude) sample can be downloaded here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8954669/Motorcycle%20tire.zip

Tim
Attachments
sample tire.jpg
motorcycle tire setup.JPG

myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice

Post by myshadowboxes »

Tim, I did just that... I will post it in a few. Just about done with it now...

If you could give me pointers on how to make it better.

Anthony

myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice

Post by myshadowboxes »

Tim, this is what I got when I did it myself... Still working to make it just a little better. The center part will have a sticker or something like that done by the local sign shop. What I am trying to do is make the tire just a little higher using the shape profile (two rail sweep). Still trying to perfect it : ) Did it on white PVC (painted it black) but will get some black on Monday and run it again.

Anthony
Attachments
motocross tire.jpg
Black tread.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Anthony,

It looks like you started with a picture and used the command to create a component from bitmap. If so, the quickest way to increase the depth is either add some base height or increase the component height, or a combination of both. Adding base height does not change the surface shape, it just adds (or removes) material under the shape. Changing Shape Height will proportionally change the shape of the surface.

In the component list, highlight the tire component and then click the icon that looks like a wrench. Here you will find two boxes with sliders to adjust shape height or base height. The slider will give you a quick, coarse adjustment or you can type a precise amount into their input boxes. After making a change, Aspire will update the 3D preview after a couple of seconds or you can press the space bar for an immediate update.

Tim

myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice

Post by myshadowboxes »

That is exactly how I did it... here is my shape that is under the bitmap component. What I want to do is raise the arch where the outside two arrows are. I also want to raise the height of the middle to make it where it is 1/2 on the material. It looks as though I am only using 1/4 of the material even though when you look at the material setup, it shows I am all of the material with .012 left at the top. Well I can see it is not leaving .012 off the top.
Attachments
tire profile 2.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

You are on the right track. What you have created is normally called an "underlying shape" and you would have both it's combine mode and the tire's combine mode set to Add.

If you are trying to change the profile of the tire, which is what I read, try creating another 2 rail sweep using a profile that adds to the areas you want to add to. If you uncheck your current underlying shape, you can position your mouse pointer over different areas of the tire and read the depth in the lower right hand corner of Aspire's window. Say you want 1/4" at the inner radius but you measure a current component height there of only 1/8". Now you would be sure your new 2 rail sweep profile is 1/8" thick at that point. Picture may help.

If you can zip and post the file, someone could help you better.

Tim
Attachments
tire shape profiles.JPG

myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice

Post by myshadowboxes »

That is too funny... before I read this, that is exactly what I did. I made two of the underlying shapes. It looks a little better now so I will go and run it on the machine. I tried to upload the file and then saw that it was 15 meg zipped. Not going to happen. I still can not figure out how to make the outer most portion of the tire thinner. The inside of th etire looks good, but the outside is still thick.

Anthony

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

Anthony,

You have done an excellent job creating a tire. Thanks for sharing.

myshadowboxes
Vectric Apprentice

Post by myshadowboxes »

Ok, well here is the final version... The white is to show the customer that I would do the black : ) half of the black is gloss and the other is flat. In the middle is where the local sign shop will place a logo. And of course it is a motocross tire.

Thanks for all the help and support from everyone. Would not of been able to have finished it without your help!!!

Anthony
Attachments
IMGP0634a.jpg
Tire tilted.jpg