Help importing .eps files

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
IJCNC
Vectric Craftsman

Help importing .eps files

Post by IJCNC »

OK

I have a customer who is sending me eps files. When I try to open it gives me "cant open may contain bitmap data" he is using illustrator and says there is no bitmap data. Any idea of how we can overcome this.

Ian

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Re: Help importing .eps files

Post by esteeme1 »

Are you trying to import the file or open it?

You need to go the import vectors under the file menu pulldown and select import vectors.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

EPS files don't always contain vectors they can just contain embedded bitmap images which VCarve cannot process.

If the source file the customer is starting from is a bitmap then theres not much you can do apart from get it as a JPG or similiar and trace it in Aspire.

Hopefully they have the original data in vector format and they're just saving it incorrectly from whatever software they're using.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

I have the same problem with Aspire opening EPS files created with URW Signus Design. I also get the message "cant open may contain bitmap data" but there is no bitmap data at all, not even a preview bitmap. My workaround is to open the file in another vector program such as CorelDraw & export as EPS again then open or import into Aspire. The downside is that Corel reinterprates the quantity & location of the nodes which bothers me. Aspire is the only vector program of many that I have purchased that has trouble opening these EPS files although thankfully that is the only critisism I could level at Aspire. URW Signus Design is an old vector program
(mine version 2.ten 1994) that creates the most basic EPS files. There is no embedded bitmap data.

Regards GC

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

I told Vectric about this last March and sent them sample files.

I use Ghost Script's GSView (free) to make them readable by Vectric.
Just open the file in GSView, then click on file convert , pick device = pdfwrite with a 600 resolution, and click OK. That's it. Would have thought V3 would fix that.
Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere