Post by HUNTER45 »

can we get the curve tool back

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: curve tool

Post by Rcnewcomb »

it is integrated in the Draw Line/Polyline tool

Click and drag with the polyline tool to create a curved line, then press 'S' to make the next line straight
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

That's quite a dog you have there, Randall. :)

Phil

SurfinGump
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Post by SurfinGump »

"it is integrated in the Draw Line/Polyline tool"

I beg to disagree, it is not integrated into that tool. The Polyline tool has been around for a very long time. The Draw Curves tool was recently introduced. And it was introduced for a reason because it behaves completely differently than any other tool.

I have sent an email to support and highly suggest other do this, as well as post here in the forums.

Lastly, software "upgrades" are not supposed to remove features unless they directly conflict with the operation of the software, or they are simply renamed and/or enhanced. Another example is the Save File button. I thought this too was removed, but after learning you just have to click a checkbox to show "advanced" features, I do not have a problem with these types of changes.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

SurfinGump wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:18 pm
"it is integrated in the Draw Line/Polyline tool"

I beg to disagree, it is not integrated into that tool. The Polyline tool has been around for a very long time. The Draw Curves tool was recently introduced. And it was introduced for a reason because it behaves completely differently than any other tool.
The polyline tool was enhanced a few versions ago to allow for the drawing of curves as well as straight lines. You must have missed that in the What's New at the time.

The Draw Curve tool has been around for well over 10 years if not from the beginning of the software but the oldest version I have dates from 2013.

I think you're getting mixed up between it and the freehand tool which is fairly recent. The freehand tool is still there.

SurfinGump
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Post by SurfinGump »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:39 pm
The polyline tool was enhanced a few versions ago to allow for the drawing of curves as well as straight lines. You must have missed that in the What's New at the time.

The Draw Curve tool has been around for well over 10 years if not from the beginning of the software but the oldest version I have dates from 2013.

I think you're getting mixed up between it and the freehand tool which is fairly recent. The freehand tool is still there.
I apologize, I did mix up the recent introduction of the freehand tool in my statement, most likely because my use of the software itself has not been for that long. However, I still stand by the behavior of Draw Curve tool was a completely different experience than the Polyline tool. Being able to very quickly single-click while tracing over the top of an image, versus clicking, holding, and then trying to drag a curve while fighting any accidental release of the mouse, is more difficult to control thus causing a major slowdown in speed, not to mention an exercise in frustration.

All of which perhaps may become easier over time using the Polyline tool to draw curves, but I just can't express how disappointed I am for the unexplained removal of a completely useful tool, other than "because it was integrated into another tool, while at the same time changing the way it works, resulting in a completely different experience that we're not going to admit to" excuse.

Verucktjim2
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam And Desktop pro

Post by Verucktjim2 »

Bring back draw curve tool. Please.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Send your request to support@vectric.com
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Verucktjim2 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:44 pm
Bring back draw curve tool. Please.
I disagree. That tool rarely produced useful curves that didn't need extensive editing due to the program trying to interpolate between your chosen end points.

The changes to the "Draw Line" tool that Vectric made in v11.?? make it behave much like the "Pen" tool in Illustrator in that with it you can combine straight and curved segments.

Rather bringing back the inefficient "Curve Tool" from pervious versions I'd much rather see Vectric create a new tool for drawing curves based on Illustrator's "Curvature" tool. This tool produces a far more useful and smoother curve that only requires minor tweaking rather than major editing.

JeffZ
Model of CNC Machine: avid 5x10 pro

Post by JeffZ »

I used the draw curve tool a lot and i really want it to come back too.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Got to admit I'm amazed at how many people used that tool. It was easily the most awkward drawing tool in the whole package IMO. I could never get it follow any curve I wanted at an accuracy level that would beat the other methods and/or anywhere as close to fast.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Yeah. It would seem the small video I linked to demonstrating the Illustrator Curvature tool has disappeared. If I had a mind to I'd send in an explicit request for a replacement of the curve tool with something that behaves more like Curvature for a truly smooth curve and curve creation experience.

woodskills
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Elite Foreman

Post by woodskills »

I'm all in for improved curve tools. I currently use my CNC for making furniture and I use a lot of curves. I have not done much 3D stuff yet. Never used the Illustrator one. I have to go find some videos. I know that Kyle Ely thought they should not have removed the curve tool and he is a lot more experienced than most so I will defer to his opinion. Or as you suggested replace it with a more capable one.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Hooray for Kyle Ely... Kyle who?

I've been doing some experiments with the curve tool and without and I still feel that it is redundant as it existed.

The centre of these circles will be the end points for a test curve:

01.png

This a curve created from those points. Note that the actual curve was entirely determined by software from the points clicked:

02.png

I next drew a closed polyline from centre point to centre point, etc.:

03.png

I then went into node edit and selected every node using a mouse cross-drag:

04.png

I then pressed "S" to convert all those nodes from plain points to "smooth" points and I got a curve:

05.png

Again, the only control over the result of this curve was the starting points.

A comparison with the Curve tool created one (in red below) shows they are different but that's really because they were created via two different methods. Which is more valid? Neither. really.

06.png

If I really want something that looks like the red curve I can node edit, insert a point, and drag that point:

07.png

What if you drew the red curve but what you really wanted was something like the black curve below:

08.png

How would you accomplish that? Go into node edit and play with the handlesof the nodes:

09.png

And the same holds true for the blue curve:

10.png

This will, of course, convince no one. But it was fun to play with the tools.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

I also played with the curve tool today in v11.5. I've traced hundreds of shapes (at least) over the last several years, and never used that tool. I'm trying hard to be fair and say if I used it a lot then perhaps I'd miss it. Trying hard. To be honest I find the draw straight lines/smooth selected points technique (which is what I've always used) to be a lot more precise, especially for shapes where not all points should be smoothed (for example, a molding profile). I'll grant that others might find it useful, (including Kyle, whoever he is), but it isn't a tool I'd ever use. As others have said, if it's an essential part of your workflow, then send a request to support@vectric.com.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost