V12 3D View - Model displays as transparent

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
CBFISK
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam 3000

V12 3D View - Model displays as transparent

Post by CBFISK »

Hello,

I have been searching though options without success to display the 3D model other then transparent. Material settings do not apply to the model. I can toggle the modeling plane and block visibility on an off but the model remains otherwise transparent.

There must be an option somewhere for this but I have yet to find it. Your suggestions & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dana

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: V12 3D VIEW - Model displays as transparent

Post by adze_cnc »

We might need an image. The dome below looks quite not transparent:

no transparent.png

Windows has a built-in snipping tool for taking screenshots and saving the image to a file. You can even draw highlights and annotations.

The saved image file (png or jpg) can be uploaded as an attachment here.

CBFISK

Re: V12 3D VIEW - Model displays as transparent

Post by CBFISK »

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply. Apparently there is more than one thing going on with our 2 installations of Aspire. Oddly, after throwing up my hands and posting to the forum I returned to my project in Aspire intending to limp along and get it done. I When I activated the 3D window behold... it displayed correctly! I had made no change, didn't relaunch or touch any tools or options. (btw- this issue is with our V12 upgrade)

Subsequently, V12 prompted me to download a more recent version of the tool DB which I did. (We keep our tool DB synced between our 2 seats of Aspire). It displayed missing roughly a 1/3 of our tools.

Now our other seat, V11.5, does not display up/down load buttons in the tool DB window after logging in (and seeing a positive login confirmation). We've located the Tool Database folder in V11.5 program files and made a backup copy just in case.

So- this is a little too much to sort out here on the Forum for now. I'll spend some time tomorrow trying to pick apart these problems and will likely be back here with more specific questions.

Until then thanks again,

Dana

CBFISK

Re: V12 3D View - Model displays as transparent

Post by CBFISK »

At this posting our Aspire V12 seems to be working as it should however, I am reluctant to update the tool DB as prompted. The reason is that after upgrading & updating yesterday, the DB was missing a substantial number of tools. Just as the 3D display issue inexplicably resolved itself (detail above), the tool DB on V12 now appears to be complete.

I have just launched our seat of V11.504 (on a separate computer), attempted to sign in, agreed to "allow access" and received confirmation that the account is linked. Aspire does not indicate that I am signed in and the tool DB does not display the up/down load buttons. I have attempted to sign in through both the sign-in link on the splash page and the account icon at the top of the tool DB window without success.

Given all this squirrely behavior I am not sure whether to upgrade our V11.5 seat to V12 or address this account access problem first.
We have a large tool DB to preserve and we use both Aspire seats with the tool DB synced to keep up with current projects (we're a little up against it just now). If anyone has insight into these issues, please do let me know.

thanks as always
Dana

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples with the database. There's been another thread where someone said they were missing tool settings but they didn't have the same material/machine combination selected on both versions.

Also check the database name in the centre box at the top of the database to make sure you're have the same one selected.

CBFISK

Post by CBFISK »

I've bypassed the account link issue with our V11.5 installation by upgrading it to V12

Now I can report on the initial problem that prompted this thread- the model displays as transparent in 3D view. After upgrading to V12 I confirmed that I can link the installation to my Vectric account. Good so far. Then I opened a file that I am currently working with (no changes to any Aspire) options. Please see the attached screen snips.

In one the modeling plane & block visibility are turned on, in the other they are off. The material is maple.

When this occurred with our other V12 installation Aspire eventually returned to the expected 3D display. That mystery is outlined above.

Thanks for any suggestions about a fix. The only one I've found so far is to wait it it out with fingers crossed.
Dana
Attachments
Transparent Model 1.PNG
Transparent Model 2.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I think you have the layer that the model is set to hidden. Look at the layers dropdown at the top of your screenshot. The current layer( BUTTON C-BORE.68...) is displayed in red which means anything on it is hidden/invisible.

Click the toggle button next to the layer name to turn it back on.
Attachments
layers.png

CBFISK

Post by CBFISK »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:36 am
I think you have the layer that the model is set to hidden. Look at the layers dropdown at the top of your screenshot. The current layer( BUTTON C-BORE.68...) is displayed in red which means anything on it is hidden/invisible.

Click the toggle button next to the layer name to turn it back on.
Hi Adrian, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it seems the problem lies elsewhere. I've attached another screen grab with modeling plane, block visibility & all layers on. Still the "maple" model itself does not display.

Dana
Attachments
Transparent Model 3.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

CBFISK wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 pm
Hi Adrian, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it seems the problem lies elsewhere. I've attached another screen grab with modeling plane, block visibility & all layers on. Still the "maple" model itself does not display.
Go to the Component tab and makes sure the levels and components are set to be visible on there.

CBFISK

Post by CBFISK »

Adrian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:38 am
CBFISK wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 pm
Go to the Component tab and makes sure the levels and components are set to be visible on there.
Hi Adrian, new screen snip attached. Components, Layers, Levels, Tool Paths all visible. Modeling Plane & Block Visibility are off. Still no display of "maple" model. I've tried different materials but with no change to the model display. Other drawings behave the same way. I'm stumped. We had the same issue with our other V12 installation that miraculously cured itself. Dana
Attachments
Transparent Model 4.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There aren't any components in that list though so there's nothing to display. You should have components listed under Level 1.

Are you on the correct sheet for the model?

CBFISK

Post by CBFISK »

Adrian wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:19 pm
There aren't any components in that list though so there's nothing to display. You should have components listed under Level 1.

Are you on the correct sheet for the model?
Adrian, well that simplifies it. The model as such is from 2D geometry so you're right- nothing to display. It only displays in 3D when simulating tool paths. Thanks again for your help & patience.