Three Dimensional Profiles

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Three Dimensional Profiles

Post by fordtman »

I am trying to create a surface that is rather difficult to design with Aspire. It has a profile in the X-Z plane and a different profile in the x-y plane (see attached drawing). I can create it using a 2 rail sweep and a series of vectors matching the height of the profile in the y-z plane and a 2-rail sweep along the x-y plane, but I was wondering if there is a simpler way. Any help would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jim
Attachments
Profile Question.JPG

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Three Dimensional Profiles

Post by rscrawford »

Just create the two rail sweep of the X-Z profile. Then use the XY profile vector to trim the model.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Not sure I'm completely understanding you. Is this the shape you're trying to create? This was created with 2 fairly simple 2-rail sweeps stacked on top of one another, but I may be completely misunderstanding your intent.
Attachments
profile question result.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Post by fordtman »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the great replies. I did try the two-rail sweep method but did not get the result I wanted, most probably I am doing something wrong, it is too simple for my old brain. These days I tend to do that quite a lot, being in your 80's doesn't help either.

Merry Xmas all......, Jim :oops: :D

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

So, out of curiosity, is the shape I posted in the right ballpark? If so I can describe the method.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

My brain perceives you want what may look like the back of a horse. A constant arc that rolls up and down in the Z axis in the pattern you show. It is a shame the moulding toolpath can't be mapped to a 3D surface other wise your quest would be fairly easy to accomplish.

Playing with the modelling tools I came up with this:
Saddle shape.jpg
The file was too large to upload, but I simply started with your something close to your YZ vector and a horizontal line in the X axis, followed by your arc shape and a vertical drive line in the Y axis. The S shape was extruded from left to right. The arc shape was extruded down the existing S shape in the Y direction. All done by using "create shape by extruding along one or more centerline vectors".
4D

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

4DThinker wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:00 pm
My brain perceives you want what may look like the back of a horse. A constant arc that rolls up and down in the Z axis in the pattern you show. It is a shame the moulding toolpath can't be mapped to a 3D surface other wise your quest would be fairly easy to accomplish.

Playing with the modelling tools I came up with this: Saddle shape.jpg
The file was too large to upload, but I simply started with your something close to your YZ vector and a horizontal line in the X axis, followed by your arc shape and a vertical drive line in the Y axis. The S shape was extruded from left to right. The arc shape was extruded down the existing S shape in the Y direction. All done by using "create shape by extruding along one or more centerline vectors".
4D
That would be the XZ plane and the YZ plane. He said the YZ plane and the XY plane, which should be considerably easier than that. Just one two rail sweep in the YZ plane, and then cut that model with a vector in the XY plane. That is, if what he said in his original post is actually what he is looking for. . .
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

rscrawford wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:49 am
That would be the XZ plane and the YZ plane. He said the YZ plane and the XY plane, which should be considerably easier than that. Just one two rail sweep in the YZ plane, and then cut that model with a vector in the XY plane. That is, if what he said in his original post is actually what he is looking for. . .
In his post he shows what I assume is a top view of the vectors. So in reality they would be YZ and XZ. If not then what is left to know is exactly how he wants to warp the S shape with the arc shape. An extruded S shape cropped with an arc, or the S shape in a 3D fan arc?
Fan Saddle.jpg
Cropped Saddle.jpg
If either of these is close to what he wants they both are fairly easy to create using the modelling tools in Aspire.
4D