Interactive trim issues

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
rhinocat
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC 5x12 retrofit

Interactive trim issues

Post by rhinocat »

I have searched but have not find any answers yet. I do a lot of trimming and then cutting on these flat panels that are full 4x8 sheets, I get the design from the client and then I break it into 4x8 sheets of plywood and overlay them and then trim each piece to make panels to cut. When I trim and make panels and then try to line them back up I find that they can be off by as much as a 1/2" which is hard to see until you zoom in. It makes my trimming and editing process take way longer than needed.

I hope what I have described makes sense. It seems that when I trim a line it dose not stay in the same location, it will move .125 to .5 inches and create issues. Is this a video driver issue? or is it a Vectric issue?
Screenshot 2022-08-18 173125.png

Thanks,
Matt

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Interactive trim issues

Post by ohiolyons »

Could you post the file in the photo?

Off the top of my head without the actual file my guess is:

Is the any space between the 48x96 sheets? if there is it will induce the error you are talking about.
With snapping on you can make that distance 0.

I'm seeing overlapping vectors on your far right curved vector.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Tried to recreate your issue.

Before
gap1.jpg
after
gap2.jpg
Mine was off 0.00001" I'm really certain it is an alignment issue with your sheets.
That error spread over 96" is way more precise than most CNC routers used by the majority of users on this forum.
We really need to see your files.
Are you using Snapping?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

rhinocat

Post by rhinocat »

Thank you for your responses. I recreated the drawing of the tunnel wall so I new there where no duplicate lines on top of each other, I even used the vector validator. I then made 6 copies and created 48x96 rectangles on each one where I needed the sheets to layout and cut away the rest of the model with the interactive trim tool. Then I reassembled the parts, the result is on the left with the original on the right. Parts came out short and undersized in places. This is very frustrating and only seems to have started recently because I have done this work flow in the past and not noticed such a problem. I think I just upgraded to 11.016 a few days ago. I have also attached the file.
tunnel wall luan.crv3d
(23 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Screenshot 2022-08-19 173553.png
Thanks,
Matt

rhinocat

Post by rhinocat »

So, I imported the same DWG file into AutoCAD Mobile and did the same procedure of making 4x8 sheets and then trimming away the lines to make 6 sheets that I will cnc cut for the client. The result was flawless when I re loaded the parts into Aspire. So I conclude this is an issue in Aspire with the trim tool or the way that Aspire handles the graphics. I will be changing my workflow for a while untill I can be confident Aspire will give better results.

Thanks for the reply and looking at my issue, I would still like to figure this out so I can do my complete work flow in Aspire.

Thanks,
Matt

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

The file before you did the trimming is what we need to see.

I ask again, are you using Snapping in Aspire?

Because everything worked out fine in a CAD when created which more than likely had snapping on really points the finger at you are not using snapping or don't have the proper snapping options selected.
IMG_0062.JPG
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

rhinocat

Post by rhinocat »

Ok, here is the original file which is a DWG, and I know it has issues but I used the vector validator tool and cleaned up all the overlaps and intersections. I also removed all the 4x8 sheets and created my own before trimming them. Also a picture of my snap options that are turned on and the only one not checked is the Object Bounds, not sure why it is not checked but is that an issue?
Tunnel wall Luan.zip
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Screenshot 2022-08-20 110716.png
Thanks again,
Matt

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I'm pretty sure the problem is with so many variances in the DXF format. Some programs support different kinds of vectors like arcs, etc. and others don't. The dwg format is native the AutoCad so I wouldn't expect any errors there but exporting and importing into another program is a different story. I've had a lot more success exporting and importing vectors with .eps files.
Steve

rhinocat

Post by rhinocat »

Thanks for the suggestion on the format. I deal with people in the set design and movie industry that just send out the files and what I get is what I get.

I natively redrew the wall in aspire and cut it up with the trim tool and still had issues when I put the parts back together as you can see in the attached picture.
Screenshot 2022-08-20 135115.png
I will do more testing but I am not sure I can trust aspire for this task as of now. I have been designing and using cad programs for over 25 years, so I think I should be able to figure this out. maybe its an issue with my computer? I will try on another when I can and report back.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

It’s not the DWG file. It’s the trim command. When trimmed to the horizontal or vertical line the endpoints of the resulting curve can move.

This is pretty much why I do all trimming in Rhino 3D. It doesn’t rely on programmtically tracing the trimmed curve to an unknown intersecting object. You specifiy the cutting object and it cuts to that known entity.

Sample images:
Original (gold) trimmed (red)
Original (gold) trimmed (red)

Converted arc to Bézier closer (zoomed in view of previous image) but still not right. Original (gold) Bézier (turqoise)
Converted arc to Bézier closer (zoomed in view of previous image) but still not right. Original (gold) Bézier (turqoise)

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Further to trim issues:

Need to trim curves to lines. Curves currently touches the line ends
Need to trim curves to lines. Curves currently touches the line ends

Detail before triming lower part of curve
Detail before triming lower part of curve

After trim the curve end-point not touching un-moved horizontal line
After trim the curve end-point not touching un-moved horizontal line

Detail of top of curve. Because bottom has moved and top point of curve has stayed in place the curve has pulled away from the vertical line
Detail of top of curve. Because bottom has moved and top point of curve has stayed in place the curve has pulled away from the vertical line

If you don’t notice that and try to trim the curve to the vertical you get full oblteration of the curve.
If you don’t notice that and try to trim the curve to the vertical you get full oblteration of the curve.

rhinocat

Post by rhinocat »

Thanks for confirming my thoughts adze_cnc. I had come to the conclusion it was just how Aspire handled the trimming. I don't really do a lot of drawing in Aspire anyway, most is in Skethup, after using AutoCAD mobile on my PC the last few days I think I will be adding it to my work flow as it has much better 2D drawing and modifying tools than Aspire.

Thanks for all the replies,

Matt