When?????

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
gio14
Model of CNC Machine: roland modela 540

Re: When?????

Post by gio14 »

Use aspire from version 8 to 11 coni linux debian, not virtualized but with wine and honestly it has always worked well as if it were native for Linux

neilgill
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8+ with Rotary

Post by neilgill »

Always embraced differences. I equally use iOS, DOS and Unix systems. Each has it Pro's and Con's. This way there is no restriction of what software to use. You can pick the right tool for the job and never worry about corporate monopolies.

It appears that Apple makes most money selling computers while Microsoft makes most money selling software. Microsoft wants the world to have access to computers. Apple wants the world to buy their computers with their rules and control. So it would seem that Microsoft has an open and inclusive, none-restrictive platform, while Apple has severe limits on what it will allow to run on its computers.

Perhaps the issue is Apple and not the developers? After all, they don't want too much competition, that may affect their computer sales.

You make your bed and have to sleep on it.

Neil

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

neilgill wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:34 am
It appears that Apple makes most money selling computers while Microsoft makes most money selling software. Microsoft wants the world to have access to computers. Apple wants the world to buy their computers with their rules and control. So it would seem that Microsoft has an open and inclusive, none-restrictive platform, while Apple has severe limits on what it will allow to run on its computers.
Perhaps the issue is Apple and not the developers? After all, they don't want too much competition, that may affect their computer sales.
Neil
I moved to a Mac because I was tired of the crap that installed itself without my knowledge on my PC. Have never had another issue in 13 years.

Perhaps its time to lock this thread when the BS starts coming out.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

neilgill
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8+ with Rotary

Post by neilgill »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 pm
neilgill wrote:
Neil
I moved to a Mac because I was tired of the crap that installed itself without my knowledge on my PC. Have never had another issue in 13 years.

Perhaps its time to lock this thread when the BS starts coming out.
Agreed, "Time to lock this thread" when it becomes personal. Sad that it suddenly gets offensive when you have nothing better to add.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

neilgill wrote:
Microsoft has an open and inclusive, none-restrictive platform, while Apple has severe limits on what it will allow to run on its computers.
Microsoft is not all that different from Apple in this respect, especially in more recent years, including hardware requirements getting stricter for Windows with each new iteration. Win11 is a big example of that. (Ironic that I can run Win11 on my Mac but not on the Windows computer attached to my CNC) Yes, one can source the hardware more broadly, but it has to have specific attributes to be compatible...there was more flexibility in the past. OTOH, MacOS "can" be less restrictive on what software can be used if one is willing to "check the box" and install things from wherever. IOS on the portable devices does, however, require applications to be vetted. I'm kewel with that and it's never caused me an issue.

At any rate, and relative to this thread, those of us who embrace the MacOS world can still run Vectric software as long as we're willing to do things like virtualization or a separate machine. When I asked a few years ago, Vectric told me their market focus is Windows and that it was unlikely they would broaden that. It is what it is.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I do not think it is Microsoft garbaging up the installations. More like various vendors and makers of computers doing it.

A while back I needed to take one of my laptops in for some work. The tech asked if I would like a clean install of windows. Yup. When I got it back, I was amazed. Booted way, way faster and when I checked around a bit in task manager all sorts of things were not there anymore. Things that I used to look at and wonder if they were really necessary. . . .

From my viewpoint I have never seen what Apple does so great that justifies the high prices. Nevermind that this stuff has evolved so fast yesterday's must have feature becomes ho hum virtually overnight.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

neilgill wrote:
Always embraced differences. I equally use iOS, DOS and Unix systems. Each has it Pro's and Con's. This way there is no restriction of what software to use. You can pick the right tool for the job and never worry about corporate monopolies.

Neil
I agree! The very basics of our free enterprise system is diversity and knowledge is always king. If one chooses to narrow their scope of knowledge and cripple their abilities then learn to live with it. Learning how to use the tools that are available without trying to pass blame will make life much more interesting.
Steve