Importing models

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Importing models

Post by Jimcad »

Hi all, I'm new to all this although I was a CNC turner for 25 years. I imported a model in STL format and wanted to just select some parts of it. As an example: Select some holes and pocket them. Then some other holes and pocket them with a different tool. I thought I'd seen a video of creating vectors from models but I can't see a way of doing it or finding the video on youtube? ? ? Thanks in advance. Jim

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Re: Importing models

Post by Jimcad »

I thought " AHA!" DXF but numerous tries failed to import.
Then right clicked and copied to new layer but holes were not round as it's an STL with facets.
Currently trying OBJ files but have to stop now.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can use the "Create Vector Boundary" tool on the Drawing tab to make vectors that outline the model and any through holes.

A common error from people new to CNC is to think that everything has to be done as a model. I've seen many projects from new users that should actually be 2D vectors and machined with profile and pocket toolpaths instead.

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

Thanks Adrian, I'm also an ex Inventor user and have purchased Alibre Atom to continue 3D modelling now I've retired. It's hard for me to think in 2D. I'm going to make some kitchen drawer fronts of various sizes to match our existing ones. I hoped to create 3D models and import to vectric. The bit I'm struggling with is the easy bit . . . . . I want 3 x 15mm shallow locations on the back face ( constants) then some 3mm holes to mount drawer fronts to drawers + other uses ( these are variable positions ) depending on drawer size. In my head that's create a 3D model then save as, change a few sizes and so on. Hope I've not waffled on too much and it makes sense. Jim

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

Hi All,
I've been trying to import my DXF file. I used the import vectors and it is perfect. Exactly what I needed. As I said . . . I'm new to this so bear with me for asking such basic questions. I HAD been trying for ages before asking but couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thank you to Mark Lindsay for this. (Video on importing Vectors from DXFs)

Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There's a good section (Working with External Data) on using externally created vectors and models in the Aspire tutorials - https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ernal-data

It's well worth working your way through the tutorials on the "Help / Video Tutorial Browser" link.

Marks videos are excellent but there are many from others on YT that are just plain wrong and can lead you up the garden path.

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

Thank you very much for the replies Adrian.
After spending money on the machine & software I'm trying to impress my wife by working on useful tasks with it.
Let's just say she wasn't too impressed about me buying it. :lol:
Jim

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

I used an old bit of MDF for my first try. One mishap where I set a new tool Zero position but had to switch everything off for a while.
When I returned I didn't realise until too late that it hadn't saved the new coordinates. :cry:
As these drawer fronts will be painted dark blue I can be flexible about material to use.
The picture shows a 400mm wide one and I made a 600mm wide one. I'm delighted with the outcome.
And so is my wife. :D
2 more to make and then some of the 280mm tall ones. (These are 150mm)
My confidence is starting to grow now. :)

Jim
Attachments
Drawer Front.jpg

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

These are some of them. The middle ones (400mm wide) are the originals.
The outer ones (600mm wide) are the MDF drawer fronts created by me.
I intend to use the box gadget to make drawers on wheels for underneath as well.
The planning dept. (Mrs. Jim) is happy. :)

Jim
Drawer Fronts.jpg