mach3 g-code on other machines

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

mach3 g-code on other machines

Post by endgrainguy »

Perhaps I'm posting this in the wrong section....if so please advise where it would be better off. I'm posting it also on V-carve section.

I'm planning to offer a product for woodworkers consisting of a hardware pack and instructions for producing an item with a CNC router. Since the production involves many toolpaths and two-sided machining, rather than simply providing a CAD drawing (which I will be doing) I'd also like to be able to send usable g-code, saving buyers the trouble of generating all the required toolpaths.

I think I know how to do this for Mach3 users like me. My question is would the g-code be useable for other post processers, and is it possible to provide usable toolpaths that would be somewhat universal. I'm thinking many of the people interested in my product would be owners of small table top CNC's.
Thanks!
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Re: mach3 g-code on other machines

Post by BDM »

I'm not even close to being a CNC expert, but I would never run someone else's g-code on my machine, unless I spent a lot of time reading through it, so I knew exactly what it was doing. Using the same feeds and speeds for all "small" desktop machines would be a disaster, if not expose you to possible legal claims.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Duplicate Post

I replied in the other post
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

You could certainly provide the CAD/CAM in Vectric format, but it would be a mistake to create actual toolpath cutting files, IMHO. These have to be written out with the correct post-procesor for the target machine. Further, speeds/feeds are going to be different and the the individual getting your files may also be using different tooling. It's easy to think that "GCode" means something is compatible with any machine that uses GCode, but the reality is that it's a lot more complicated than that.

In fact, I'll caution you that you need to ... in writing ... indicate that the toolpaths you are providing are only samples and educational purposes to show how you might cut the file. If you do not do this, you will be swamped with huge "customer service" challenges. I know someone who was selling (excellent) design files for musical instruments and even with the disclaimers, it got ugly. Too many buyers with zero or little experience were expecting things to just run. That's just not realistic.

endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by endgrainguy »

Thanks for all these knowledgeable replies!

OK, so this idea was worse than I thought it might be!, --and I knew it might not be feasible.

Any examples out there that people are aware of of similar things-- a relatively complex CNC cut plan? Every time I look at the offerings of small CNC I'm amazed by what's out there, how CNC capability is being targeted at more and more casual users.

Can I preserve layers from a file I generate in Aspire in a way that will be available to most potential users, so I can say something like, "do inside profile of all vectors on layer 1 to a depth of .125" with a .25" diameter bit"? I guess I can just export each layer as its own dxf....

I've actually been selling an item, a more complex kit, with a plan that includes dxf files, and have had no complaints, but that's been more simple, and the numbers of buyers trying to execute those files have been few. https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/endgrai ... /720761380

For this new item, I'm planning to offer an MDF template with the key curves and dimensions that will allow anyone with a plunge router and template guides to make this build. I'm trying to figure out where to focus marketing -- the analog crowd, or the digital.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The problem with using Vectric file formats is version as has been mentioned. A lot of people do not upgrade continually, I know, I am one of them. Your best bet is to use a more neutral format and let them do the toolpathing. I did something similar years ago, I used three file types, dxf, eps and a pdf that actually were the engineering drawings.

Sold quite a bit of that project and never had any issue with folks creating their own tool paths. And that solves the whole version issue, in fact, someone could buy your project that does not run any Vectric software, And there are lots of those folks out there too.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Al,

I looked at your Etsy store and your web page. Very impressive indeed. It's nice to get a tiny bit more personal and get to know you a little better. I like what I am seeing in you offerings. Nice stuff. The boxes are exceptional.

I can see what you are trying to do, but frankly, I don't believe you can make it work. There's just too many factors involved.

Personally, I have one client that I do programming for. I supply all his programming needs. How I do it is that I personally go to his shop and make sure the program I create runs on his machine. That is how I did my job for decades, I was always involved hands on with the machinist and with the machine. I would not do it without personally proving it out on the customer machine. Just too many things can go wrong.

Providing a DXF, PDF, paper drawing or an STL is fine. That is generic enough. Even a written job sheet or a video on how to do it. Heck, there are plenty of examples of how that is done just by looking at the free projects on the Vectric main page. I do not condone coping Vectric's projects, but they certainly do have some very well done project examples. There are no copyright infringements in creating your own PDF instructions and video on how to build a project created by you.

One idea I have been thinking of is to make the kit with all parts precut and all things needed and to include a PDF instructions to build. I was also thinking of adding a video like to my youtube channel with a video demonstration. Again, very similar to Vectric. New Yankee workshop with Norm Abram did similar to this. Every show was the video, and you could purchase the detailed drawing.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by endgrainguy »

Thanks for the appreciation Leo! It's been a long hard road, but pretty satisfying.

When I built myself my power feeder I knew I had something that would be useful to others, but it wasn't until I saw this:https://www.etsy.com/shop/Jerswoodshop --that I thought it had potential to make income for me like none of my labor-intensive wood products I'd been making for 40 years ever did. But it hasn't caught on, maybe because a power feeder isn't attractive to enough people, maybe because it looks too much like a toy. I'm still working at getting it more exposure.

But this guy's belt sander, which he's sold over 10,000 set of plans at $20 each over the past few years, shows there is potential in this realm. And he's not even offering a kit.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I'm not an expert in "marketing" but I have studied it to some degree, one semester in college and several seminars from when I owned a franchise. Learning what the market wants vs what we ourselves like to use and make may not be equal to each other. Finding what the market wants and will buy is something else indeed. Also, the market is fickle and changing all the time.