over under 2 rail sweep

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
milnegord
Model of CNC Machine: X-carve

over under 2 rail sweep

Post by milnegord »

Hi folks , wondering if anyone can help out ? trying to get a 3d model from this
belt start.png
belt parts.png
But struggling with the 2 rail sweep for under & over parts . Probably not helping that the belt kinda looks like it turning as well as going under over ,under over at the bottom (if you know what I mean :? )
Is there an easier way that I am missing ? I did look at Becky doing the Banners & Ribbons video , but struggling to get there with this !
Should I be starting with a full circle then start adding bits ? eg the parts of the belt that overlap then under etc ? Seems easy when Becky did it :lol: .Not so easy for me ! I thought about extrude & weave & 2 rail sweep but Im sure there has got to be an easier :? way.
Many thanks Gordon

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Re: over under 2 rail sweep

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I think you are going to have to create multiple components and work through the merging process to assemble a final model. For example, the major part of this is a circle, so initially it would be a circle. You'd build other pieces similarly and then carefully put them together. There may be a need for some manual manipulation of things with the various tools, too.

Disclaimer...I have not worked on something with this level of complex overlap, but have done a little bit of it in refining some guitar headstocks. It's been all about carefully merging things to get the intended end result.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Here is an example with 2 sweeps. The first sweep uses the taller profile vector for the cross section at the beginning of the sweep and the shorter one as the cross section at the end of the sweep. The second uses the shorter profile for the entire sweep and has its combine mode set to "Merge"

It's possible to have a sweep overlap itself, but you get odd results sometimes so easier to split it up.
Attachments
Belt.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Belt.JPG
Steve Godding
D&S Artistic Woodworking http://www.dsartisticwood.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

This tutorial may help:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
another good day in the shop

milnegord

Post by milnegord »

Jim_in_PA wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:26 pm
I think you are going to have to create multiple components and work through the merging process to assemble a final model. For example, the major part of this is a circle, so initially it would be a circle. You'd build other pieces similarly and then carefully put them together. There may be a need for some manual manipulation of things with the various tools, too.

Disclaimer...I have not worked on something with this level of complex overlap, but have done a little bit of it in refining some guitar headstocks. It's been all about carefully merging things to get the intended end result.
Cheers Jim yup I think its just going to take a bit of mucking about !

milnegord

Post by milnegord »

dealguy11 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 pm
Here is an example with 2 sweeps. The first sweep uses the taller profile vector for the cross section at the beginning of the sweep and the shorter one as the cross section at the end of the sweep. The second uses the shorter profile for the entire sweep and has its combine mode set to "Merge"

It's possible to have a sweep overlap itself, but you get odd results sometimes so easier to split it up.
Thanks dealguy ! it might take a wee while to get my head round that :? but its late at night & I appreciate that !!! Ive been going round the twist with it .... the models not :lol:

milnegord

Post by milnegord »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:27 pm
This tutorial may help:
Thanks Rcnewcomb !!! I might have to watch this a couple more times .
It's a kind of strange vector as I think it would also need some kind of twist in it to look right at the bottom !