How do I get a toolpath that is consistent with the results of the two rail sweep?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Nicolanti
Model of CNC Machine: Longmill 3030

How do I get a toolpath that is consistent with the results of the two rail sweep?

Post by Nicolanti »

After struggling for a few days trying to get the two rail sweep modeling tool, I am trying to now get a toolpath. I guess I am just ignorant. You'd think that the toolpath would almost automatically be generated from the two rail sweep "tool". I cannot figure out workable settings to get the same results in a toolpath that I get from the 2 rail sweep. My resulting toolpath cuts into my workpiece instead of out to the edge.

I appreciate any suggestions for this lost soul.

thanks,

David

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: How do I get a toolpath that is consistent with the results of the two rail sweep?

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I don't know what you are trying ti model with the 2-rail sweep but it's as simple as selecting the 2 rails first and then the profile you want to sweep between the rails. A toolpath is generated on the toolpath tab by selecting a toolpath type, usually a 3D toolpath with a 2 rail sweep, and then selecting how you want to limit it. Surrounded by vectors, the entire model or the entire project are most of the common choices depending on what outcome your expecting. This video simplifies it.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... weep-guide
Steve

Nicolanti

Re: How do I get a toolpath that is consistent with the results of the two rail sweep?

Post by Nicolanti »

Thanks Steve,

I have watched this video and several others. The generated molding toolpath is not the same as what is generated by the two rail sweep. i do not understand why they are different.

In the morning I will send the files.

thanks again.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As SteveNelson46 it should be straight forward :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can post the CRV3D file that would help & if you can't foe copyright reasons then consider sending it to Vectric support

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Nicolanti wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:30 pm
I appreciate any suggestions for this lost soul.
  1. How do I get a toolpath that is consistent with the results of the two rail sweep?
  2. I am trying to now get a toolpath.
  3. You'd think that the toolpath would almost automatically...
  4. ...to get the same results in a toolpath that I get...
  5. My resulting toolpath cuts into my workpiece....
In all these 5 mentions of a toolpath you never actually name what kind of toolpath you have created and are having problems with.

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

It's a deep hole down there, Alice :D

Only a 3D Roughing or 3D Finishing toolpath will cut a 2 Rail Sweep. I assume you have done one of these 2 as your question appears to be about cutting too deep into your workpiece. If that IS the case, then you need to correct your settings in the "material setup" form at the top of the "toolpaths" section and then recalculate.

The simplest and quickest solution is to post your file as much, much smarter peeps than myself will essentially fix the issue for you. In the long run, the best solution is to keep going through the tutorials, ask questions and discover your way out of the rabbet hole.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Nicolanti

Post by Nicolanti »

Here are my files. One shows the results of the two rail sweep, which is exactly what I want. One shows the result of trying the moulding toolpath. And the last one is my aspire file. THANK YOU FOR HELPING.
Attachments
29.09.2021_06.33.16_REC.png
macy 2 rail.png
macy board small.crv3d
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

Nicolanti

Post by Nicolanti »

Adze,

Sorry, I was not more specific. I created a Moulding toolpath.

Nicolanti

Post by Nicolanti »

Not sure how to create a roughing or finishing toolpath that will cut the 2 rail sweep….???

Nicolanti

Post by Nicolanti »

Steve,

I am starting to believe that I am simply profoundly ignorant!

I guess my quandary comes down to how do I generate the gcode file from the results of the two rail sweep? The resulting 3D view after generating he two rail sweep looks perfect. But, there is nothing I can see that will help me save a toolpath to use on the CNC router.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Nicolanti wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 pm
Steve,

I am starting to believe that I am simply profoundly ignorant!

I guess my quandary comes down to how do I generate the gcode file from the results of the two rail sweep? The resulting 3D view after generating he two rail sweep looks perfect. But, there is nothing I can see that will help me save a toolpath to use on the CNC router.
You need to use the 3D roughing and finishing toolpaths. Whenever you have a component (model) to machine those are the two toolpaths that are needed. The two rail sweep creates a 3D model which is what you can see but then you need to create the toolpaths so that the actual code to cut that model can be generated.
Attachments
3d.jpg

Nicolanti

Post by Nicolanti »

Adrian,

That is an excellent explanation, that I finally get.

It worked perfectly. THANK YOU

And thanks to Steve and adze and JoeBlow.

You guys are great