Creating a component that the modeling tool will accept

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
alden
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Creating a component that the modeling tool will accept

Post by alden »

I am new at modeling as I learn by doing with Aspire trial edition. However, I am hitting a roadblock while trying to model a face. I have outlined the nose and have given it its own layer called nose. When I click on the modeling tab and click create shape, the apply button will not highlight to create the component. I check to see if there are any open vectors by hitting the join vectors button and I get no selected vectors. I click on the vectors and get nothing as if it is not even there. I have an outline of a nose that won't highlight. I tried making a test circle which jumped to life with no issue. What am I missing?

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Creating a component that the modeling tool will accept

Post by scotttarnor »

If you could share your file it would help, without it we would be guessing.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

He won't be able to share the file as it's the trial edition. Files created with that will only open on the computer they were created on.

Not sure what is going on as you seem to be saying that you can't select the vector at all. You haven't locked the layer you put it on have you?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said sounds like you can't select the vector, screenshots would help, how have you tried selecting the vector? If it is over a bitmap you are copying then you maybe keep selecting the bitmap rather than the vector, try box selecting it :lol: :lol:
If you have more than one vector & they are grouped then I don't think the join open vectors tool works.

alden

Post by alden »

I am finding that it is a node problem. If I create several curved sections of this nose shape and try to connect them together to make one closed vector it is not cooperating and will not join them. They look connected but trying to join two open vectors and make them one closed vector to complete the shape is just not happening. I go into node mode and select these two sections and click on join vectors, it lists each one as an open vector but will not join them. If I right click in node mode and select close vectors it will create a line or curve or take two end points and create two separate weird shapes, but not the simple one that I want that have two common end points. There must be a better way.

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

There are probably many options, here are 3 to try (on the bottom row of the edit objects tools). I thine each of these need to be done two vectors at a time not a larger group. You don't need to be in node edit mode to do this. (1) Select two vectors and then "join-join open vectors." You need to ensure the tolerance that is selected in the menu that comes up is large enough to bridge the gap. Otherwise they won't join. (2) join/close vectors with a straight line. I don't think there is a tolerance setting on this or #3. (3) join/close vectors with a smooth curve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

With the join tool the issue is most likely the tolerance value.

With the other join tools if you're getting results that seem odd then it's most likely that you need to move the start node on one of the vectors if it's not joining where you expect it to.

Why is the vector made up of so many open vectors in the first place though?

alden

Post by alden »

The many curves on a face require doing it with many sections of contours, and each contour section needs to be an individual component. To create a component section requires several arc lines connected or joined together. This is the problem that I am having, getting them joined together as a complete component that the modeling tool will accept. I have had some success using the join vectors tool but not always. For example, I created a shape using four arcs that fills in the hollow under the eye and up to the nose. Using the join vector tool the selected vectors showed one open vector. After joining, it showed one closed vector. This is what is needed to complete the component. Now, when I open the modeling tool, create shape, the apply button is greyed out when it should be active. Other shapes that I did like the nose, once I had a closed vector, the apply button activated. Why it works for one shape and not the other is the problem I haven't solved yet. I am not understanding why it has to be so finicky. I will try moving the start node around and see if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

All I can think is that you're either not pressing the Join button when using the join tool as it won't actually join the vectors until you do so or you're not selecting the vector when activating the Create Shape tool. Those are the only two ways I can replicate what you're seeing from your description.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have years of experience with vector based software so don't find it a problem joining vectors, it does rely on a few different factors though which have been mentioned in other posts about this, if you are having problems joining a few at a time then try joining them 2 at a time, if you reach the stage where you think they should all be joined at both ends just check by selecting the vector & using the right click menu look down for join selected vectors. If that option is greyed out then the vector is closed, if you can select that option then the vector is still open.
As Adrian has said there is no reason for the create shape tool to work on some vectors & not others if all the vectors you try it on are closed. :lol: :lol:

alden

Post by alden »

Thanks everyone, Adrian nailed my problem. When I opened the join vector tool and saw that it said it changed from two open vectors to one closed vector, I thought the task was completed. When I hit the join button it became active in create shape. Thanks again.