What VCarve pro can do and has done

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mark296
Vectric Craftsman

What VCarve pro can do and has done

Post by mark296 »

Just wanted everybody know what you can do with VCarve pro. But first a little about myself.
I have been working at the mother plant of Ethan Allen for 21 years before they were shutdown. After working there for 10 years they acquired a 2head and a 4head CNC machine. Well I thought that it was nothing special and I could build a smaller version of it and get as good quality from my homemade machine. After my CNC was built I started showing off my work using VCarve pro. After awhile my carvings went to the right places and I was giving a chance to carve a drawing that I did at home on my homemade CNC. I did not design it and it has been carved before I did it but my carving done with VCarve Pro is still on Ethan Allen's furniture.
I ended up in the IT department fixing computer and networks and never got a chance to carve for Ethan Allen again but I still carve at home. The factory has been shutdown for 7 months now and I am still out of work but I have my A+, Network+ and CNC so hopefully will find work soon somewhere where it doesn't snow. Here is a picture of the carving I did with VCarve pro. This was done long before Aspire came out. Just use your talent and imagination and VCarve Pro will get the job done.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 12 21.26.jpg
ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 12 21.27.jpg
ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 12 21.27.jpg

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Re: What VCarve pro can do and has done

Post by mboydraska »

That is very very nice, keep posting pics.

Thanks,
Mike
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Mark,

Very impressive results! The design, choice of wood and finish work together perfectly.

One of two places where I buy my wood is a sawmill/kiln run by two brothers who worked at a large Ethan Allen plant here in western NC before it closed. One was a manager and the other I'm not sure, but they do know their wood. Must run in the family for you Ethan Allen folks :D

Hang in there, something will come your way soon. In the meantime, please keep posting pictures of your projects.

Tim

Gc3

Post by Gc3 »

Beautiful work! I also like the PR doors did you also do that design with VCP what about cutting the panel profile...cnc or shaper?

Gene Crain

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

All I did was the carving on top. Thank you for your support and kind words. Sorry if I miss led anybody.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Mark,

I don't feel mislead, just have a better understanding now.

I think the way everything blends together so well made it easy to assume you built the entire cabinet, which is a tribute to how well you did the carving and attached it.

It is an impressive carving, especially considering you did it with VCP and 2D toolpaths (I assume).

Tim

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Mark can you explain how you went about doing that with v carve?

Thanks,
Nick

tyskkvinna

Post by tyskkvinna »

I've also been staring at the carving for some time wondering how you went about it. It's gorgeous!

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

moto633 wrote:Mark can you explain how you went about doing that with v carve?

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick, First everything that was not part of the design was cut down by .11 leaving the raised carving, vines and all. The shell was done with a ballnose and roundover bit that I designed. The roundover bit cut around the pedals and the ballnose cut between them.
The leaves were done with a ballnose and touched up with a Vbit. The flowers were done with a ballnose. Just made a circle with 1/2 ballnose around the center of the flower then cut the pedals out with a 1/16 vain bit. Then I used the 1/16 bit to finish all the details.
At this point it is ugly but after you brush sand it everything gets rounded over and then it all takes shape. The square vines get nice and round along with the rest of the carving. The whole carving takes 17 minutes to cut.

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

That says HIGH PRODUCTION :D 17min!

Thanks for sharing!

Nick