Origin Problem

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
revwarguy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt

Origin Problem

Post by revwarguy »

I have a project that whenever I generate a toolpath, it's origin is shown in the 3d drawing as being about 3/4 inch below and to the left of the bottom left corner of the workpiece, which is the origin declared. I do not have any origin offset specified, and if I do specify an offset of 0 for both x and y I get the same thing. When I generate the Gcode for the tool path, the origin is really off where it should be.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Origin Problem

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
In the job size and position window for the X and Y position do you have the lower left radio button selected or is the one in the middle selected? If the vectors are all off location you should be able to select all the vectors and use the 'Move selected vectors option to move them to the X0 Y0 position. If you can post your .crv file it would make it easier for us to see what is going on with it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

revwarguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by revwarguy »

I am running 5.015 of VCarve Pro. In my "job size and position window", aka "job setup" window, the lower left radio button is to set the units to "inches."

In the job setup window, I specify XY origin position as the lower left corner of the buttons that look like the face of a dice, and the Offset box is unchecked. If I "move selected vectors", to make the origin align with the lower left corner of the drawn material, the whole toolpath also moves, making the carving offset from the center of the material.

If I specify setting the origin to the middle of the workpiece and recalc the toolpaths, it looks ok. I could leave it at that, but I would really like to align the material on the table by setting the origin to the lower left corner. Anybody seen this before?

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,

So you have the material set up with the origin at lower left hand corner using no offset, correct? Did you want the part to be cut at the center of the material? If so, just select the vectors and use the 'center in material' icon to position the vectors at the center of the material. So then you have the lower left corner of the material as the origin and the vectors are centered on the material. I am not sure if that is what you wanted but that is my guess after re-reading your post several times?
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

revwarguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by revwarguy »

Thanks for the reply - yes what you described above is exactly what I want to do. When I do that, and calculate the toolpath, the 3D view shows the toolpath starting from a location that is not over the lower left corner of the workpiece. I don''t know if its because the 3D view is not representing the workpiece correctly, or it has an incorrect idea about the origin. :?:

When I make the origin the center of the workpiece, and center the vectors on the workpiece, and calculate the resulting toolpath, every thing works fine. However, it would be much more convenient to me to use a lower left origin.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

It's hard to picture what you are seeing without having the file.

If you could post the CRV file or some images showing what
you are seeing in the 3D view when the origin is in the
bottom left corner, we might be able to help.

Tony

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

I use lower left origin 100% of the time and never have seen the problem you are having. I use Aspire, Photo V Carve and V Carve Pro. Please post a CRV and I’m sure we can help you.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

is it your settings? did you set the lower left corner as zero?
the red arrow pointing?

you can make screenshot, on a state as push printscreen button... on the keyboard upper right corner keygroup...
after this with paintbrush you can save from the clipboard (with ctrl-v, or paste )the screenshot and post it... like this sample

thanks
viktor
Attachments
settings.jpg

pandrade82@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by pandrade82@gmail.com »

I know this is an old post but I have had this problem since I started using my CNC router a few years ago. I too cannot align my toolpaths on the work piece when I load the file into UCCNC. Also have the same issue with Mach3. Is the problem with my VCARVE setup or my CNC router?

Please refer to the attached files. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Peter
Attachments
Vcarve Desktop Toolpaths.jpg
Console Upper 250 Brazilian Walnut.crv
(299 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Peter,
What do you mean by align the toolpaths?
What you're seeing is that your machine x/y is at the bottom left and the vectors in the file are as positioned.
Is it that you want the vectors to align to the left and bottom sides ?

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

pandrade82@gmail.com

Posting the CRV file that did not upload.

Peter
Attachments
Console Upper 250 Brazilian Walnut.crv
(299 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

pandrade82@gmail.com

When I look at my tool paths in VCARVE they are centered on the work piece. When I load the gcode file into UCCNC the toolpaths are no longer centered on the workpiece. If you look at the attached picture the toolpath for the X and Y axis are both offset in the positive direction and are no longer centered on the work piece.

The XY datum position is at 0,0 of my workpiece

Thanks,
Peter

pandrade82@gmail.com

To answer your question which I don't think I did in my previous post I want the outside vector to be centered on the work piece and the inner vectors to align as specified within.

Thanks again,
Peter

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Peter,
Not sure, but from what I see, it appears that the left and bottom areas are the same in both the VCarve file and your screen shot.
Maybe your setting in the machine software needs to be looked at.

Michael
offset.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The control software can only calculate the job boundary by looking at the movements with the code and making assumptions from there. There's nothing (other than comments which it doesn't use) to indicate what the actual job size is. It's just an indication, the important bit is the vectors for the job itself and the XY origin.

So what that means is that the left and bottom of your red box in the control software matches the material because it's starting from the XY zero and going from there to the start of the job. The top and right there is no way for it to know where the job boundary is and it doesn't really matter.

All that matters is where the vectors are in relation to the XY zero and that the vectors are the correct size.

The attached picture is of your file run previewed in the ShopBot control software that I use. You can see it's the same as yours as far as the job/material boundary goes as I would expect.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-05-29 201406.jpg