Toolpaths forimported 3d model problem

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
crchisholm
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro v4 XXL

Toolpaths forimported 3d model problem

Post by crchisholm »

Hi,
I have downloaded a 3D STL model and imported it into a new project. I setup the tool path for both roughing and finish and they were created fine, except that they only cut the model and don't include any of the rest of the stock they are being cut from. That makes since but is not what I need. I am cutting this from a piece of stock that is big enough for the model and I need all but the model cut away.

Just for clerification, I am wanting to glue this stock to a base piece of wood and machine it down to the base, so I need all of the none-model trimmed away down to the base.

If I am not being clear or if there is a better way to do this, please let me know. This is pretty new to me.

Charlie
Attachments
ROUGHING PROBLEM.png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Toolpaths forimported 3d model problem

Post by dealguy11 »

There are a couple of ways to accomplish what you want. One would be to remove the material around the model using a pocket toolpath, with the depth of the pocket set to the height of the model plus the gap above the model. You would create 2 vectors to define the pocket - one a rectangle that is the material size and the other a vector boundary around the component.

The other way is to add a zero plane to the model, and select "Material Boundary" for the machining limit boundary (or make a rectangle the size of the material and use that as a vector boundary).
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost