Bas Relief depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kenagyd
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity

Bas Relief depth

Post by kenagyd »

The finishing passes are cutting more deeply than intended, and I'm puzzled as to the proper settings.
Part of the project went properly:
The project is a bas relief, with a Z (height) of 0.24". The stock is 3/4" thick wood. I began with a 3/4" bowl bit to remove stock around the 3D model using a "pocket" between the model perimeter and a vector that projects around the stock (but leaves clamping pads at the edges for later removal). I used a 1/2" end mill for rough shaping.
Then things went awry
The finishing passes are a 1/4" Ball Nose and 1/16" Tapered Ball Nose. These cut as deeply as 0.51" into the perimeter.

I suspect my ignorance about setting depths is the problem, but several re-attempts made it no better. I've attached screen shots that might show my programming error and a preview image that shows the problem with the appearance.
Attachments
Temp.jpg
USAF MD.jpg
Temp 2.jpg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Bas Relief depth

Post by sharkcutup »

The .51 is correct with your settings.

Model Thickness -- .49"
Material Above Model -- .020"

Total Depth of Cut/Carve ------------------------ .51"

When you are using the Modeling (3D)Toolpaths you are at the mercy of the models depth and location within the material.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

You might consider adding a zero plane. This will provide more graceful cutting at the edges of the model and prevent it from "falling off the edges" of the component where there are slight mismatches between the component and bounding vector. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

kenagyd

Post by kenagyd »

I'm sure you're right. I saw another post in which you discussed "adding a zero plane" but I think I need an even more basic explanation. Is there a tutorial you recommend? Frankly, I don't understand the series of "U-shaped" icons (white and yellow, upside down and right-side up). Nor do I understand what "Baking" is (at least not in this context).

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

You have a base height of .25 and model height of .24 giving you a total model thickness of .49. Change your base height to 0 and then your finishing toolpath will cut a total of .26 (.24model height + .02 for model depth in your material setup)
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As others have said the file is cutting exactly as it should with your settings, what was your reason for adding the base height ? Adding base height is basically sticking a lump of material under the model increasing the overall height of the model :lol: :lol:

Don't know if this will help at all, haven't watched it myself but Mark's tutorials get a lot of recommendations :lol: :lol:

kenagyd

Post by kenagyd »

"what was your reason for adding the base height ?"

I didn't know I did that...the setting seemed to appear spontaneously, but maybe it exists somewhere in the (purchased) 3D model???

When I learned that, I re-set the model height to 0.24 and set the height above the model to 0.02. Then I made my "Bowl Bit" depth go to 0.26" and it looked much better.