hot steppers and end mill question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rabphxaz
Vectric Apprentice

hot steppers and end mill question

Post by rabphxaz »

Hi all,
I'm just getting my home built cnc router set up and have run the steppers for the first time. I have three Xylotex 425s and their (Xylotex's) drive box, and I notice that the motors are hot to the touch -- almost too hot to touch. This happens even when I'm not using a particular motor, but the system is turned on. I have turned them off awaiting some wise counsel.
Also, here's a dumb question: my router, and most routers, have a 1/4 and/or 1/2 inch collets. How come end mills don't come in 1/4 and 1/2 inch shafts, unless the bit size is 1/4 and/or 1/2? In other words, if I want a 3/8 end mill, how come they aren't available with 1/4 or 1/2 inch shafts so they will fit into standard routers? Or if they exist, who carries them? I've looked everywhere.
Thanks, Bob

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Re: hot steppers and end mill question

Post by Wemme »

Hello, Not sure of the brand of stepper or controller your using but steppers are effectively 2 or four coils (depends on mode of operation) like in a solenoid. to lock the motor in place some controller leave the full current going through the motor to keep the rotor in place, this will mean it will heat up regardless of it moving or not. most controllers will use full current to stop the motor then drop back to a lower current after 0.5-1 second to reduce temperature (in power supply and switching pwm circuit not just motor) and reduce power ussage . if rotors get too hot they can loose magnetism of the rotor inside the stepper and then the torque will deduce.
I suggest looking for a data sheet for the motors on the internet and finding the maximum operating temperature.
I would think running them over 60-70 degree Celsius would not be wise.
Mine usually run around 15 degrees C above ambient.

Re your end mills often Chucks or collects are available for odd sized shanks, but shop around i get 1/4" 1/2" from my local Cutter shop, the also stock metric 4,6,8,10 mm shank and also do custom bits at cost.
Hop this helps, Happy cutting.
Regards
Bart

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

rabphxaz wrote: Also, here's a dumb question: my router, and most routers, have a 1/4 and/or 1/2 inch collets. How come end mills don't come in 1/4 and 1/2 inch shafts, unless the bit size is 1/4 and/or 1/2? In other words, if I want a 3/8 end mill, how come they aren't available with 1/4 or 1/2 inch shafts so they will fit into standard routers? Or if they exist, who carries them? I've looked everywhere.
Thanks, Bob
Well I don't know where to get the end mills like you describe. But for running a 3/8" end mill I went onto Amazon and bought a 3/8" collet for my Porter Cable.

Tim
:wink:
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Tim,

You might try Onsrud, Magnate, Centroid, Beckwith Decor, Router Bit World, Amana, ENCO, Rockler and others. Just do a search on Google or Yahoo and you should find plenty
Marv

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Thanks Marv, but I wasn't looking for the end mills, Bob was... :wink:

Tim
:D
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Oops, sorry, was looking at the wrong post when I was typing.
Marv

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

rabphxaz wrote:How come end mills don't come in 1/4 and 1/2 inch shafts, unless the bit size is 1/4 and/or 1/2? In other words, if I want a 3/8 end mill, how come they aren't available with 1/4 or 1/2 inch shafts so they will fit into standard routers? Or if they exist, who carries them? I've looked everywhere.
Thanks, Bob
Bob, Like every other business, Tool manufactures also try to cut costs and time.
It takes longer to manufacture a .375 tool from a .500 blank than a .375 blank.
You can get and find tooling like your wanting, but the cost will be a little more.
I have a spindle and have went out and bought the full range of collets that fit my spindle, This way I can pickup a tool no matter what size the collet or cutter is. If I get time later on this weekend I'll see if I can find a few links for tools like your describing.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

rabphxaz wrote: Also, here's a dumb question: my router, and most routers, have a 1/4 and/or 1/2 inch collets. How come end mills don't come in 1/4 and 1/2 inch shafts, unless the bit size is 1/4 and/or 1/2? In other words, if I want a 3/8 end mill, how come they aren't available with 1/4 or 1/2 inch shafts so they will fit into standard routers? Or if they exist, who carries them? I've looked everywhere.
Thanks, Bob
http://eagleamerica.com/solid-carbide-s ... /106-0202/
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

Hi Bob,

I have two Xylotex controllers and they are a piece of cake to set so that you don't burn up your motors or overheat them. Your motors should have a current rating on them. Best to use that number but no big deal if you don't. You need a multimeter though and a screwdriver (at least for the chopper drives I have). You need to set the voltage for each stepper to a value that corresponds to the current you are aiming for. It's all in the documentation or at Xylotex website. Once you do that properly the motors may get pretty warm but should not be hot enough to vaporize spit. If so, they won't last. Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob

"He's no fun, he fell right over" - Firesign Theatre

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Phil gave me the heads up on these guys. They have a good selection and the prices are nice. I'm happy with the results.

http://www.carbideselect.com/index.php

I also use a 1/2 inch straight shank ER11 collet from MSC. I bought it about 3 years ago and it still works great. You can get expansion collets in any size that will fit it. Since i bought mine the price has went up quite a bit but I still would not hesitate to buy another at todays prices. IMO it was a very wise investment. The small .04 ball ends I use for lithopanes seem to last longer then I would expect. I feel that the precision from the collet leads to a longer tool life. I have nothing to base this on just my opinion.

Chuck

rabphxaz
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rabphxaz »

Man, I love this site. Where else can you get smart, fast, knowledgeable answers to even dumb questions like the ones I tend to ask? As someone just starting out in this field I can tell you that the learning curve is somewhat daunting and I am keenly aware that I would not be able to finish my machine without the help I receive from this forum. You all have my sincere gratitude.
I will investigate the sites noted in the responses and see what I can find.
Thanks again, Bob