3D cut issues on curves

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Blindell
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Re: 3D cut issues on curves

Post by Blindell »

The Modeling Resolution was set to High 3x slower, also could have went with Very High 7x slower. In the pic of the Roughing preview, the jagged edges started there and never went away with Finishing. If there are more hidden Resolutions other than Standard, High, Very High, I don’t know how to access them.
Attachments
D7970AA4-19E2-4F15-9E60-3236ED4ED6A2.jpeg
16849C33-7BF5-4F92-AC16-E95469907DFD.jpeg

Blindell

Post by Blindell »

I kept an unmachined area on the workpiece to place touchprobe, and yes, re-zeroed each bit when changing.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

To access increased resolutions hold down shift when you create a new job.

Are you absolutely sure the artwork is high quality?
There is a lot of junk out there. It is the wild west with some of these guys.

As a general rule of thumb increasing stepover beyond (8-10%) on a Finishing yields a less than desirable end result.
Requiring LOTS of sanding actually wasting more time and or recarving. I know a guy this happened to.

On a larger project you should go up in bit diameter to hog out the area faster not increase the stepover.
Of course this will smaller bits utilizing REST machining option or multiple finishing toolpaths will progressively smaller bits.

Don't take this the wrong way.
Are you using the right bit?
there was a case recently where the OP labeled the bit as 60 and actually used a 90 degree bit.
It happens to the best of us. I can tell you horror stories about my misadventures.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's really hard to see any details in those pictures. It would be better if you took screen shots using the Windows snipping tool or similar rather than taking a photo of the monitor.

If you don't know how to do that then what would really help is to run all the toolpaths in preview and then use the Save Preview Image on the toolpath preview form and then upload that file.

Blindell

Post by Blindell »

No offense taken. I am 100% sure I had the correct bits. The design was purchased on Etsy from All D-N-J-Creations-LLC. I've blown up their display images and see what I expect to see, smooth contour, not jagged like mine. I looked and standard setting for my IDC Woodcraft 18EM is 40%. The IDC 18BN standard is 17%, I know I should have set it to 7-8%. The 18BN Taper .045 tip was set at 17%, standard is 8%, know I should have done that as well. Maybe I dont have a realistic handle on what amount of time a given tool path shoud take.Note, this is 24.5"x16.0" a fairly big sign. As carved:
18EM 5:30
18BN 11:30
18BN Taper 4:30
Re-run all toolpaths with appropriate stepover
18EM 5:30
18BN 24:30
18BN Taper 045 8:00
After re-running all toolpaths with 7-8% stepover, the jagged edges still there. Stumpped, other than takes twice the time. Maybe the design is meant to be somewhat jagged
Attachments
3D Carve Guns Revised Stepover.png
3D Carve Guns As Carved.png

Blindell

Post by Blindell »

Here’s a pic of the website finished product looks like.
Attachments
FEF4FC8B-173E-4783-B502-525D57DF20B2.jpeg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As I said on the previous page the pictures that showed the actual model show it to be really rough and that toolpath preview looks to be an accurate reflection of the base model from what I can see.

Some of the other pictures of that design on the etsy page aren't done as 3D, they are done as 2D pocket/profile cuts and v-carve toolpaths. That's how I'd do a design like that as well. It's not really a 3D job.

Blindell

Post by Blindell »

Thank you all!!!! Don’t waste anymore time on this. I wondered about pocket, VCarve strategy, etc. This is all part of the learning curve. Thanks again to all! Will try some other scenarios.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Cut .125" deep Pocket Toolpath with three different size endmills and then for the outline of the text 30 degree V-Bit on the text vectors.

Oh and I eliminated all the empahsis Vectors around the pistol.
Break_in_House.png
Break_in_House_Gun.png
Added the Emphasis Vectors

No need for a model!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Blindell

Post by Blindell »

Shout out to "sharkcutup"! Took your advice and approached the design from a Pocket/VCarve strategy. Looks like I think it should and go from approximately 16+ hrs of carve time to <6 1/2 hrs. Thank you, I think things out in a practical, logical way, but this CNCing is a new challenge that I embrace and need to lean on others to point me in the right direction! Very glad I joined the Vectric Community and hope someday I can contribute knowledge to others (pay it forward) as others have done for me. Tanks again to everyone!!!!

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

It is best to post images rather than photos using the Snipping Tool

Rference this Topic ---- viewtopic.php?p=301991#p301991

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554