Bowl & tray bit - Database category?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
idlehands
Model of CNC Machine: JazzCNC Custom Build

Bowl & tray bit - Database category?

Post by idlehands »

Hello everyone,
Long time member here but my first post.

I have a Whiteside Bowl & Tray bit (1374) which I find excellent however I've been getting some unusual results lately with some of the bowls I've been cutting out.
My question is where, or does it matter what branch in the Tool Database I should located it?
Currently I have it setup as a End Mill however I was wondering if it should be a Ball Nose of something else?
Appreciate any suggestions.
When all is said and done, more is said than done

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Bowl & tray bit - Database category?

Post by martin54 »

What do you mean by unusual results? If the bit was working fine & now you seem to be having problems then is it time for a new one or to sharpen the one you are using :lol: :lol:

Generally speaking a bowl bit would be entered in the tool database as a radiused endmill or a form tool :lol: :lol:

idlehands

Post by idlehands »

Thanks for the reply.
I didn't want to dwell to much on the "unusual" results as I know its a matter of tweaking the stepover. However I always had a niggling doubt over what the category should be...
And you've kindly answered that!
Thank you

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I typically setup the Bowl Bits as a Form Tool as that provides the program (V-Carve) all the necessary data about the bit to perform well. But you must create an accurate drawing of the bit in order for it to work properly.

Another thing that I do to increase the longevity of the Bowl Bit is to Hog out the bowl pocket first with an endmill leaving a layer/pass for the Bowl Bit to finish up.

Just a few thoughts!!! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I do the same as Sharkcutup. Bowl and tray bits are actually a radiused endmill but setting them up as a "Form Tool" seems to work better and gives me a picture of the shape when selected. I'm using one on my current project. I made one for a friend a while back and now everybody wants one. This one is the 5th. They're just a simple one day project but fun to make. This one still needs a little sanding and doesn't have a finish applied yet.
Attachments
Bea unfinished.png
Bea unfinished2.png
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Setting them as radiused end mills would be quite convenient. But I'd probably enter one as a form tool only because, in my experience, the curved portion of the bowl bit is generally not a 1/4 circle. It's more like a 1/4 of an ellipse. The same holds for most round-over bits.

idlehands

Post by idlehands »

Thank you everyone for your help and tips.
Great idea about hogging out with a big end mill first and then going in with the bowl bit.

I went to the Whiteside website, downloaded their tool database and imported in to my one in VCarve - from there I was able to choose the exact tool from their listing. It was specified as a Ball Nose Form Tool and had the profile already provided.
I've tweaked the specs for my machine and is working well!