Please Help ( Code Red )

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Habitat
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HD520

Please Help ( Code Red )

Post by Habitat »

Hello everyone. I am Nic out of Nashville Tennessee USA...I am very very new to cnc and vectric... though i am pretty handy with computers outside of cnc and vectric.
I am in v carve pro 11.5 version and i have a 3.5" by 3.5" ( pine) wood square that is 33 inches long i am working with...
I am building a workbench for my new HD520 Shark with a 3 horse power spindle... I have set my job dimensions at
Z = 3.5 X = 3.5 and Y = 33" I chose a pocket tool path and set the cutting depth at 0.25 using a 3/4 double flute straight bit from freud tools... i set up a rectangle vector and i set the Y to be cut at 1.5 inches from one end which will be duplicated on all 4 sides on the same end... as will the X be set at 3.5on all 4 sides. I am doing this on all 4 sides on the same end so that in its conclusion i will have a square end of 2.5 inches and 1.5 inches in its final length... i will then pocket out on another piece a 2.5 plus female square hole which its ending depth will be 1.5 inches so that i can insert male into female then bolt them together from behind... once i calculated this on the tool path review the attached the picture to this post to show the end result... i need some guidance from experienced vectric users because as you can see its not working out judging from the pictured preview i have attached to this post...

i am lost and scratching my head and I am looking for some guidance... I need to know what im doing wrong...

its frustrating not knowing my Head from my arse in this new world I've tippy toed into...

I am also willing to pay for 1 on 1 video instruction for those who are interested in holding my hand thru this work bench so i can start building a basic foundation... I am open to all aid.

I appreciate your time... I am also new to these kind of forums so I hope i am not over stepping...

thx :)
Attachments
cut 1.jpg

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Please Help ( Code Red )

Post by AboveCreations »

Hi. I am not sure I follow your explanation completely. You aren't over-stepping since we all started somewhere... there are lots of great experts on here that can be a wealth of help as you progress.. as many of us have over the years.

Since I can't quite follow what you are trying to achieve, can you share a picture perhaps and also we would be much more helpful if you could share the actual vcarve file. This would be the fastest way to get help.

Because these forums are very limited on file size, it is sometimes better to zip (compress) files to reduce the size. If that doesn't work, then you can upload to a file sharing website and provide us the link to the files. That works very well for larger files. If you have a google account, you also have file sharing capabilites on your g-drive.

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

thanks for the direction... I have attached the tap file and used WinZip as you suggested
I also attached a picture of an old workbench i built by hand from the past... I wanted to do the workbench for my hd520 a little slicker this time by cutting out females and males to connect the 31/2 by 31/2 wood squares in a much more organized fashion now that i have my entry level cnc router... plus it will give me practice with software and machine for my first project which will be tree snake habitats for my jungle tree snake collection
Attachments
firstcut.zip
(646 Bytes) Downloaded 12 times
DSC00203.JPG
2689.JPG
2682.JPG
Last edited by Habitat on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

my son lives in roswell georgia with his mom... once i have earned my stripes with vectric and this hd520 entry level cnc... i plan on adding a cobra elite by camaster which is located in georgia as well

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

What all the convolution (a 3.5 square 33 inches long threw me a bit—a dressed 4x4 post 33 inches long makes more sense) boils down to is: one board will have a mortise cut into it and the other board (the one whose 1st cut is simulated in the picture in the first post) will be a tenon. Ech face of the tenon will be cut one at a time using an identical CNC pocket cut.

The cut pictured in the first post is exactly right for the bit and rectangle combination provided. A round bit cutting a rectangular pocket will leave “horns” or “ears” or whatever you want call them. The only way to get around that is to make the rectangle overhang the material so that the bit cuts at a minimum its radius over the edge.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As adze_cnc has already said you need to cut the pocket larger than the width of your stock material when you cut the tenons :lol: :lol:
You are going to have the same problem when you cut the mortices, a round tool can't cut a square corner so your tenons aren't going to slot in without some kind of extra work. Couple of ways you could do this, add a fillet to the corners so that the corner material is removed which can be done on the CNC, use a chisel to clean up the round corners on the mortice or make the corners on the tenon rounded, that could be done on the CNC a couple of different ways but would probably be easier to just sand :lol: :lol:

Any problems you have then just ask on the forum, plenty of people willing to try & help :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Screenshot 2023-03-22 074720.png
code red.png
Draw Vectors so that they overhang material board a bit.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

thanks for all of these great replies... they are called 4 x 4 wood squares at home depot but they are really measured 3 1/2 inches... they do it with all their lumber... just as a 2 by 4 is not a true 2 by 4. sorry for the confusion... :)

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

Hello SharkCutUp...

I tried to private message you but the message is staying in the outbox for some strange reason

Please contact me as soon as you can I will try to also figure out why my message to you is stuck in the outbox

thx shark and everyone else...

:)

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

after reading the replies of all you fine cnc patriots... i realize that my verbiage is lacking.... i obviously need to update my verbal library i had no idea that tenon and mortise was the technical and correct verbiage for male and female connections of materials

thx again all

:)

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

To end up with a 2.5" square tenon on the end of a 3.5" square post, you need your pocket depth to be .5" on each side.
As others have said to leave a clean shoulder on the tenon the toolpath rectangle needs to be 1/4" wider than the post, or 3.75" so the 1/4" round bit will go 1/8" past each side. Repeat the toolpath on each side and you'll cut some air where the previous sides have removed the corner(s), but that's OK.
In cutting a mortise pocket for this tenon a 1.5" deep pocket with square sides 2.5" x 2.5" and the corners need to have dogbones to allow for the sharp corners of the tenon.
Mortise 4D.jpg
I'll add that you should verify the size of your square 3.5" x 3.5" posts. My local sources for 4x4s have boards that are sometimes smaller than 3.5", and sometime not square in cross section.

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

3 inches and 7/16 is the actual measurement... geeese why cant a 4x4 just be a 4x4
great point and wonderful picture you shared... now i know my idea will work i just need to intensify my learning and practice on v carve pro 11.504 version... thank you soooooo much for your guidance... all of you have been incredible.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Screenshot 2023-03-22 143210.png
Model Screen Shot of what 4DThinker was mentioning about the dogbones in the corners of the Mortise for the sharp corners of the Tenon. I intentionally made this model cut setback so that you can visually see the Tenon Corner fitting into the Mortise Dogboned Corner.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

A Little Humor

You may wan to try one of these bolts to hold the parts together.
Specialty Bolts.jpg
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Habitat
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Habitat »

wow... that's beautiful thinking... in that way there will be no issues with the corners of the tenon fitting into the mortise pocket... very helpful guys.
thx :wink: