Vectric Validator Intersections and Overlaps

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Re: Vectric Validator Intersections and Overlaps

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Adrian,

To add a few more comments to your previous reply, I have just posted the pics related to the pickup truck conversation, Please let me know if you were able to view them. The line drawing SVG pic is the first attempt by the illustrator, but I had to draw the picture for her as she got a few details wrong, but it looked pretty good, but unbeknown to me, I didn't realise it could a beginners nightmare, hahahha ( frustrating )
I can actually draw, but I have no idea how to draw for CNC. Would it be down to how the drawing is printed, or even the type of fine-line pen maybe, I'm just guessing here.
So, if I hand draw a whatever, a single line drawing, then copy the drawing to the computer and then into Vectric, Would I import it as a bitmap or Vector? Hopefully, my choice of terminology is correct, ( Novice here )
Would I need to change the line drawing into any specific file type for CNC? I was told DXF files are quite often more difficult when it comes to editing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my woes and giving me some of your time to answer and help out.

Kind regards,

Michael

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has already said it's not so much how simple a project looks but how the artwork has been created & for what purpose.
There are a number of different ways that vectors could have been created from the original bitmap image depending on what you wanted to be able to do with them.
For output to a printer the vectors that you have been provided in SVG format are perfectly OK for a single colour line drawing, a printer fires ink droplets at the material, it doesn't care if there are overlaps, intersections or any thing else going on with the vectors for a single colour print. :lol: :lol:

Adrian understands CNC machining so when designing he creates the vectors that will give him the end results that he wants, the people who supply files to him also understand CNC machining so they do the same thing.
Taking your truck example, the vectors created for a V carve could be very different to a set of vectors for a profile cut cutting on the line or a set of vectors to create a 3D model of the truck, like a lot of things one set of vectors does not fit all sizes :lol: :lol:

Did you try what I suggested in a previous post? Select all the vectors & rather than a Vcarve/engraving toolpath try using a profile toolpath cutting on the line? Use a v bit & select a shallow cut depth, ignore any warnings you get. The toolpath preview is very accurate & will show you the results. You may need to use a V bit with an angle of 30 degrees or less as a 90 or 60 may make the lines to wide. For drawing & testing purposes it doesn't matter if you don't actually own a bit like that, you can just create one to see the results :lol: :lol:

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Yes I to have been overwhelmed when node editing…when the validator comes back with hundreds of issues, I have found that breaking apart the vectors into smaller areas by selecting them and using the move tool to shift them away from the rest of the drawing helps node editing to be a little easier.
Once you have corrected each smaller area then just move them all back.
It seems to work for me.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Martin54 and Aussie,
Thank you for your comments.
If an illustrator tells me he or she can do Vector line art illustrations for laser cutting and CNC, Would that be the type of artwork that I would need to avoid too many editing issues?
I did run a test in the software, but the results looked strange, in the sense that the lines were really fat!! it's the only way I can describe what I saw. The only thing I didn't do is select a 30/ Vbit, I do have a few Vbits from 120 down to 20 degrees, so I can use one if necessary.
I will find a piece of timber to do a trial with a 30-degree v-bit and see what happens, but I will stand close to the pause and or stop button just in case the bit wants to run crazy. I have a piece of timber in mind, but I need to surface it as it's not too even.

Yes, Aussie, the node editing is a crazy one, I'm just a novice, so I need more studying and learning time to get to grips with it.
I'm in NSW near the Vic border here in Aus

Kind regards

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Martin54,

Just one thing I forgot to say, If I draw or an illustrator does the drawing, it will be a file directly to my pc, I mentioned before about a printer, as I thought I might draw, then scan, print, or just save directly to my pc, then transfer to Vectric.

Kind regards

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

wannabecnc wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:22 pm
I did run a test in the software, but the results looked strange, in the sense that the lines were really fat!! it's the only way I can describe what I saw. The only thing I didn't do is select a 30/ Vbit, I do have a few Vbits from 120 down to 20 degrees, so I can use one if necessary.
Don't forget as I said earlier that when you're using a Profile toolpath rather than a v-carve toolpath the depth of cut and hence the thickness of the line when using a v-bit is controlled by the Cut Depth field in the toolpath form.

The deeper the cut the more of the V goes into the material so the wider the line. Line width will also vary for the same depth of cut with different angle bits.

Simplest way to visualise it is to draw a series of straight lines directly in VCarve and then create a profile toolpath for each with different bits and cut depths. The 3D toolpath preview will show you clearly how it changes.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Aussie wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:37 pm
breaking apart the vectors into smaller areas by selecting them and using the move tool to shift them away from the rest of the drawing
Rather than physically moving them away and moving them back how about using “Move to layer” to put them in a temporary layer. Turn the other layers off. Edit them. Move them back to their original layer when finished.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

A 30 degree V bit was just an example, it can be any angle. Point is that with the profile toolpath you set the depth of cut so it is something you can experiment with trying different angle bits & different depths of cut :lol: :lol:
The toolpath preview is very accurate so what you see on the screen once you have run the preview is pretty much what you are going to get. If it doesn't look right in the preview then there is no point actually cutting the project :lol: :lol:

Make sure you set the bit to cut ON THE LINE :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need what is known as Vectors, the SVG file you have posted is a vector file, if you draw it yourself it depends what software you draw it with & then how you export it from that program to work with the Vectric software.

You could actually draw it yourself in the vectric software using the drawing tools but doing that is more of an advanced process, I have been working with vector graphics for over 20 years, most of that not with vectric software but the process is the same :lol: :lol:

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Yes moving to layers will work even better.
I use the same graphic artist all the time, sometimes his work has no vector issues and sometimes has lots of issues, hard to explain to him due to the language barrier. This gives me lots of practice in node editing…. it’s like sanding a necessary evil.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys,

Thank you for helping me out with your valuable input and experience. Yes, I think a tool path with various lines to test out the depth of cut with different Vbits is a good idea.
Putting the editing on layers sounds like a good idea too.
if I have a drawing that has both single lines and double lines, What tool path would I use?

Kind regards,

Michael

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Truck_1.png
This is just a sample of what you can do with the Vectors. All I did here was used some of the vectors to pocket just a small amount (1/16") then added toolpath color to them. These pockets could be carefully hand painted in the same manner. I also cut a .093" pocket around the outside of the Truck to make it "Stand Proud" inside the framed area.
Truck_2.png
Again this is just a small sampling of what can be done with the vectors. It is left all up to the Users Imagination!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Again this is just a small sampling of what can be done with the vectors. It is left all up to the Users Imagination!!!

OK question, were the vectors sent to you or did you take the posted line drawing & bitmap trace it?
The reason I ask is because if you did a bitmap trace then you will get a completely different set of vectors to those shown in the OP;s post :lol: :lol: :lol:

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi martin54 and Sharkcutup,

Thank you for your valuable input.
I had thought about removing some of the background to make the truck stand out, I had already done something like that when I used a bible verse in an oval-shaped project, but this pickup truck was more of an experiment with the V-carve depths etc and on a different timber.
It certainly gives it a good look in the posted pictures, and yes, the imagination is most of the time the limit a person has.
From the original photo that I took with my phone, that was sent to someone to make a line drawing from it, Yes, when I got it, I went to import it into Vectric as a vector and I got a message saying it couldn't support the file type, so I tried import bitmap, and it worked on that one.
My assumption was it had to be a bitmap process, therefore, I did a bitmap trace, which by the sound of it probably caused so many of the editing issues.
I will add that I hand-drew the truck and sent that to the illustrator to make the lines clean etc, to which she did, I imported it but didn't put it into validator, after sizing etc, I just went to the tool path and I didn't get any warning messages from Vector Validator, so I carried on.
So, I'm guessing I did things in the wrong order previously, or just wrong.
Thank you guys once again.

Kind regards,

Michael