Can two closed vectors share a common line?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ds53652
Model of CNC Machine: X50

Can two closed vectors share a common line?

Post by ds53652 »

I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question.....or how to ask it. But as a very simple example, say you have a simple circle and then you want to split it in half with a straight line through it. And say you want to carve one pocket (one half of the circle) to 1/8" deep and the other pocket (other half of the circle) to 1/4" deep....Do I have to create basically two different half-circles and duplicate and overlap the "shared" line? Or is there a way to have two closed vectors share a common line?

I suppose I could also accomplish this with layers, but really don't want to have to do that.

Thoughts?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Can two closed vectors share a common line?

Post by adze_cnc »

Short answe: no. Slightly longer answer: graph theory says no. Practical answer: you need to create to half-mooons.

ds53652
Model of CNC Machine: X50

Post by ds53652 »

Thank you for the quick reply.
adze_cnc wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:02 am
Short answe: no. Slightly longer answer: graph theory says no. Practical answer: you need to create to half-mooons.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

ds53652 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:35 pm

I suppose I could also accomplish this with layers, but really don't want to have to do that.

Thoughts?
From the above comment, and your recent date of joining the forum, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are new to the Vectric programs and offer some unsolicited advice:
Layers can make many things easier, and this is one of them.
The Help-Help Contents at the top of the window is a good source of information on tools and toolpaths. I still use it for reference when I have a question about how things work.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You can only join vectors at an open end, you can't join vectors along a span so the answer is no 2 semi-circle vectors can't share a common line :lol: :lol:

It is easy enough to create 2 closed semi-circle vectors & the fact that you have an overlapping vector is not a problem at all. You don't need to use layers either, in fact you can have as much geometry on a single layer as you want, it just isn't really a good idea as has already been said.
Layers help keep things organised and can also be used when it comes to toolpathing to make your workflow easier. :lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

As others have suggested... learning layers will really be beneficial.

Also as others kinda addressed... in what you are trying to do, you will have to create two half moons (as adze stated). But to also add, in simple terms, if any of the vectors cross over other vectors, then it would be best to create separate toolpaths of each half-moon pocket. Layers would make this easier.